This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Disabled USBs and CD player(both are OK), Windows says no format.

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well, I had the following problem, and I've got help by this teacher user (topic on the virus I had: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Win32-Rootk…mp;pid=1622193), so, it seems that meanwhile i was fixing it, I used this tool they told me, Combofix, that it seems has disabled some option of Windows XP Ive got, so now, when I plug in a USB pendrive, or put a CD on the CD player drive, it asks me to format it.
Ive checked both on other computer and both are working, so its not a hardware problem, and the USB when plug in, recognizes the device with its name and brand, etc, but dosent let me open it, saying it dosent have a format.

Does anyone can help me enableing this posible option that it seems Combofix has disabled?
Or theres a way to check if its a virus or another kind of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Well I think that you need to contact your helper over there and tell him/her that after using combofix that your now have a problem with your computer after all they know what they wold you to do so they know the situation better than us.
Did so, he abandon me, and said post on other place. Really shameful. Still, the log of everything Ive done is there. Perhaps someone here may know Combofix too.
Combofix only removes the Autorun Feature.
It is possible your pendrive / cd is infected.
Does it do this with Original CD's?

Ive checked both on other computer and both are working, so its not a hardware problem, and the USB when plug in, recognizes the device with its name and brand, etc, but dosent let me open it, saying it dosent have a format.

That doesn't mean the device drivers aren't missing.

You can try this:

Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;DisplayLang=en

Combofix only removes the Autorun Feature.
It is possible your pendrive / cd is infected.
Does it do this with Original CD's?

Ive checked both on other computer and both are working, so its not a hardware problem, and the USB when plug in, recognizes the device with its name and brand, etc, but dosent let me open it, saying it dosent have a format.

That doesn't mean the device drivers aren't missing.

You can try this:

Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;DisplayLang=en



Ive tryied them on other computers and they seem to be ok. And yes with any cds.
Drivers were isntalled on the past and were working ok.
I have this program named: USB Disk Security that disables the autorun of usb/cd drives to avoid getting infected on virus that edit autorun.
Ill try the windows site you recomended and come back with news. Thanks a lot for the help!
Have you checked drivers in Hardware Devices? Right Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager. Are there any listed with a Red or Yellow tag?

Have you checked drivers in Hardware Devices?

Right Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager.

Are there any listed with a Red or Yellow tag?


I used the tool from windows, it said it was mainly ok, when i made a test on the autoplay it tryied to fix anything but it said must be hardware malfunctioning.
And the following logs came off.

===

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2009-08-26 17:53:01]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [, Drive Type: 0]:
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: Problems {Present}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: Problems {Present}
>> Repair << [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]
Step: Resetting policy HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer!NoDriveAutorun to 0x03FFFD3E.
Result: This AutoPlay setting was successfully fixed.
>> Repair << [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]
Step: Resetting policy HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer!NoDriveTypeAutorun to 0x00000090.
Result: This AutoPlay setting was successfully fixed.

>> Required action: The user must log off and log on again

===


AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2009-08-26 17:51:14]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 2]:
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\…\Services\!Autorun (Absent)
HKLM\…\Services\\Parameters!Autorun (Absent)
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\…!AlwaysEnable (Absent)
Did you do this? Have you checked drivers in Hardware Devices? Right Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager. Are there any listed with a Red or Yellow tag?

Have you checked drivers in Hardware Devices?

Right Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager.

Are there any listed with a Red or Yellow tag?

Just checked, and none.
All seems to be OK.
When i plug de usb memorys and the cd, i can actually right click the usb memory and check for their propiertys and the brand and model is displayed correctly, its just says it dosent have a format, again, Ive tested both on other computer and are working fine.

To know if its about a virus I may have, I did the things on the other forums/topic i posted on the first post, and the results were clean. Last night I scanned the computer again with a few tools and still clean.

Thanks for your effords of helping me, I really apreciate it!

Steve

I'm out of ideas but I'm not one of the Tech Team either.

Lets see if anyone from the Tech Team has any ideas.


Thanks for your time trying LDTate :)
Zet,

I'd like to see some info.
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives /s
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Zet,

I'd like to see some info.
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives /s
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Tomk,
I downloaded from both links, when i open the program, a blank window opens and just says "File", if i click it, it gives me just to options, load script, and exit; I click load script, and it dosent do anything else.
It dosent let me paste the code into the main textfield, and I cannot find any "Look" button.
Zet, It's not you. It's something with the tool. I'll get ahold of the developer and find out what happened. Meanwhile, maybe a member of the Tech Team will come by and have an idea.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI