This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet stops working after 10 minutes

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I hope I get a response back to this. I tried typing in cdm when I open the "run" thing, but it says it can't find the file and to make sure the path and file name is correct. SO I don't know what to do after that. Also, I don't know what a VPN is either……….sorry. Hoping you'll rely back to me…………:)

I tried typing in cdm when I open the "run" thing, but it says it can't find the file and to make sure the path and file name is correct.

Well that would be because it is "cmd"….not "cdm".
abbrv for "command"

Tallon41
Hey, Tallon14 – I know this may not be relevant to Lee-Anne's situation, but when I had the problem (on an XP system) I did extensive diagnostics, and the only problem was with HTTP connections. I could ping any site on the net, and I could run client/server apps with no problem. But after 10 minutes, the only thing a browser could display was HTML files on my hard drive. I'll also mention that I had the Cisco VPN software installed, and it includes a "Stateful Firewall" feature which is actually a bundled copy of ZoneAlarm. So the post by gerbus may have been spot on as far as my problem was concerned. One other point – Lee-Anne's problem started after she had a computer problem, and her brother-in-law had to fix it. I wonder if the brother-in-law could tell us anything about what happened and what he did … Regards, Ganelon
I'm having the same problem, or kind of. I gave this computer to my father-in-law, and it ran great (bought a faster one). He had it connected to a dialup only, and it was so freakn slow it was painfull to use so he didn't use it. He finally signed up for ATT dsl, I set it up for him and it worked - kind of!!!! After 10 minutes my browsers stopped working, ie, mozilla both. However, I could still ping to websites and I had a valid IP address and the modem showed connected. I worked on it a while but could not find any problems. I called ATT tech support and they tested the line, of course it was fine (already knew that cause of the pings I'd sent out). Anyway, I took it home with me and connected it to my router (using cable, not dsl) and what do you know it runs just fine. I've been surfing for over an hour now and it has not dropped on my 1 time. Either it fixed itself or its a DSL problem. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this post, some of the entries made me laugh. Hope someone gets a few giggles from mine as well. good luck getting it to work, maybe find someone with a different type of connection and try it on theirs and see what it does. Basically i'm just killing time to see if it will actually fail. Maybe i'll actually come back and check this post again later today. bye and good luck getting it back up.
:woot: You will need to remove or block REMOVED You will find it with ''search file'' or in c: Windows/System32 another file that might be causing you a problem is REMOVED. Make a back up before blocking or deleting. use on-line armor to scan and block these files majorgeek.com
VSDATANT.SYS is part of ZoneAlarm. parvdm.sys is part of the operating system. Why would you tell someone to delete or block them? Do you have a reference site you can give me that explains why these are suspect?
I hope I do not appear to be interfering on this thread. I have had lots of help from this forum and been guided through lots of processes to get my PC sorted, some of it has taken days to sort. I make this point to allow you to understand I can follow instructions but I am not too clever on my own with PCs. Now having just surfed this thread I have to say that I am finding it very confusing as it appears to be jumping all over the place and does not have the logical approach that I have experienced in the past. Maybe just me but I thought I would comment on it in case the OP is having problems following the advice. I know all are trying to help but its like there are several subjects being covered at one time. (in my opinion) I apologise if you feel I have been intrusive.
I have been having this same problem for the last couple of weeks. I have googled this with no luck. The internet is working only in safemode with networking. I heard there were problems with the zonealarm but since I never installed that I never suspected until I read Ganelon's reply in this thread. I have the cisco vpn installed so maybe I uninstall it and see if that fixes it. Let me see if that fixes the issue. I will post an update. Thanks.
Finally got it working!! The culprit must be the zonealarm in the cisco vpn client. Somehow it got messed up. But I uninstalled the vpn client and restarted my pc. My internet via browser completely stopped working! I cleaned up prefetch and %temp% folders and flushed and renewed dns but nothing fixed the bug. I uninstalled nortal vpn client and still it didn't fix the problem. Then finally I re-installed the cisco vpn client and restarted the pc and voila! the internet is back up and it stayed connected since then!! In short, the zonealarm inside the cisco vpn client somehow got tweaked (I suspect it happened when I uninstalled the stupid wefi wireless software couple of weeks back). Uninstalling and re-installing it fixed this issue. Hope others who ran into this nasty frustrating problem will find this solution useful. Thanks a bunch Ganelon! I couldn't have figured this out without your useful tip.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI