Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Modem keeps dropping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Waya

Waya

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

I've run hijack this and posted my log file up in the hijack this forum, but thought I'd post down here aswell regarding the specific problems I am having.... First I am running windows 98 on an older gateway PC (aprox a 98) it's a P2 with 128 MB ram Back in december my modem fried completely, I changed it out and since then I have been having troubles wit my connection dropping out of the blue, and having to reboot (sometimes 3xs) before gaining a true connection again. Also when I close my browser (IE 6) , down at the bottom it reads 'about blank' as the window goes down, No matter what site I am on. I'm pretty sure (99%) that something is running on my comp, attacking my modem and so forth, but I can't seem to find anything. I have run virus scans.. (when the comp lets me that is) and they have come up empty. However as of 2 nights ago I have not been able to download updates for my virus definitions, my modem goes down before the download is complete. I am ready to have the system completely wiped clean, but was hoping maybe there is something I am missing that I can fix myself before I go and pay someone to clean this thing up for me. (I bought the comp used, so I don't have a copy of windows) Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi Waya,

Bummer of a situation.
I wouldn't be confident of a fix, without completing the malware work over in the HJT Forum.
(unless you do decide to format and reinstall your operating system)

Do you have the installation CD for your Modem or Router?
Are we talking Dialup Modem?
You "could" consider uninstalling and re-installing the Modem driver.

Keep in mind that MS will be discontinuing support for Win98 in June of this year... No more "critical updates".
and, You can pick up a legitimate Windows 2000 installation CD complete with Product Key, on Ebay for about $50. I'm running Win 98 on a machine about as old as you say yours is. I like my machine and I like Win98, but I'm nosing around to get a deal on Win 2000. You might even have friends who have updated to XP and have a legitimate version of Win 2000 laying around unused. (be aware that to legally purchase the Windows installation CD and the owner rights for registering with MS for updates, you have to also purchase a piece of the original machine. That can be a mouse or keyboard or a CD ROM or something, so it could still be cheap to ask around amongst friends.

If you need help with formatting your hard drive I'm sure you can get information here in this forum.
You'll need a Win98 or Win ME start-up Floppy to use FDisk and Format for your drive.

You can actually download a Win98 or Win ME start-up Floppy (also known as a Boot Disk) from:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

You will have to go to the Gateway site to download drivers for your installed software, but again that should be fairly easy, (and Win 2000 may (will probably) have many or all drivers you need included on the Windows 2000 installation CD).

I'm glad you decided to visit TomCoyote Forums and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Best Regards

Edited by dough, 23 April 2006 - 07:31 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Waya

Waya

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Thanks... Yea I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the modem to no avail. I'm not to gungho on the idea of reformatting the old beast myself, I'm already ripping my hair out LOL. And I really don't want to put too much more money into it at this point. I can get it cleaned up for $30 at the place I bought it. I figure the stress I'd be saving myself will be worth that lol. I'm pretty certain at this point that I've got something malicious running in the background. I just keep hoping maybe,,, just maybe I'm missing something simple lol. I really can't afford to be without the comp for the week or so it takes them to get it back to me, so here I am grasping for a solution, one that I doubt I'm gonna find. LOL PC denial. Thanks again for the heads up, I'm gonna take a look over at ebay... just incase I do decide to tackle it myself.

#4 Waya

Waya

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

Anyone have any ideas on known malware, viruses, etc... that have a rep for attacking modems? I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for and/or any programs that may help to remove it. Right now the comp is pretty uncooperative as far as downloading virus defifinitions and online scans.