This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Internet Speed problems

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been trying to play WoW and Halo online and my internet connection creates alot of lag for me. I contacted my ISP and they said my ping was fine, which it is, but then I have a decrease in quality when I log on to play a game. please help!
ping the servers that you like to play on . if your ping is above 60 you may find that latency is the cause of all your grief . if you absolutely have to play on servers where your latency or ping is high then drop some of your video settings . this will solve video lag . other factors that would result in undesirable game play are shared network connections, downloading, type of service, and out of date drivers. if your trying to connect to a server with a 56K dial up modem . forget it . post your connection type, your cpu type, and amount of ram . that will give people a chance to narrow down the possible problems and maybe a resolve . have a good day .

ping the servers that you like to play on . if your ping is above 60 you may find that latency is the cause of all your grief . if you absolutely have to play on servers where your latency or ping is high then drop some of your video settings . this will solve video lag . other factors that would result in undesirable game play are shared network connections, downloading, type of service, and out of date drivers. if your trying to connect to a server with a 56K dial up modem . forget it . post your connection type, your cpu type, and amount of ram . that will give people a chance to narrow down the possible problems and maybe a resolve . have a good day .


Along with the above that stats mentioned a tracert to the your game server, or even to the login servers would help.

Also have you post on the WoW tech support forums for help there?
I only ask because when you have to many folks helping at the same time it can be confusing for everyone thats helping.
I have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual corre processor 6400+ (est 3.22GHz, with 2.00 GB RAM. I connect straight from my modem to my computer with a Cable ethernet connection with 6 Mbps connection speed. Tracing route to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com [12.129.232.112] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 8 ms 18 ms 10 ms c-3-0-ubr07.bremerton.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]] 2 9 ms * 11 ms GE-2-41-ur01.bremerton.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]] 3 10 ms * * te-5-1-ur01.gigharbor.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]] 4 13 ms 15 ms 11 ms te-9-4-ar02.burien.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]] 5 12 ms 11 ms 8 ms [removed] 6 17 ms 23 ms 13 ms [removed] 7 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms COMCAST-IP.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]] 8 17 ms 15 ms 14 ms te-3-2.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]] 9 20 ms 16 ms 19 ms ge-2-0-0-54.gar1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]] 10 35 ms 19 ms 33 ms att-level3-oc48.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]] 11 46 ms 44 ms 49 ms tbr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [[removed]] 12 46 ms 44 ms 48 ms cr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [[removed]] 13 46 ms 46 ms 48 ms cr2.sffca.ip.att.net [[removed]] 14 47 ms 62 ms 45 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [[removed]] 15 45 ms 49 ms 49 ms tbr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [[removed]] 16 46 ms 45 ms 45 ms [removed] 17 60 ms 48 ms 64 ms [removed] 18 43 ms 47 ms 48 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [[removed]] 19 * * * Request timed out. 20 * * * Request timed out. 21 * * * Request timed out. 22 * * * Request timed out. 23 * * * Request timed out. 24 * * * Request timed out. 25 * * * Request timed out. 26 * * * Request timed out. 27 * * * Request timed out. 28 * * * Request timed out. 29 * * * Request timed out. 30 * * * Request timed out. Trace complete. I just went through the WoW support page suggestions, will see if they worked out. sorry bout the delay in response, was on vacation. Thanks!

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual corre processor 6400+ (est 3.22GHz, with 2.00 GB RAM. I connect straight from my modem to my computer with a Cable ethernet connection with 6 Mbps connection speed.
Tracing route to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com [12.129.232.112]

over a maximum of 30 hops:



1 8 ms 18 ms 10 ms c-3-0-ubr07.bremerton.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]]

2 9 ms * 11 ms GE-2-41-ur01.bremerton.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]]

3 10 ms * * te-5-1-ur01.gigharbor.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]]

4 13 ms 15 ms 11 ms te-9-4-ar02.burien.wa.seattle.comcast.net [[removed]]

5 12 ms 11 ms 8 ms [removed]

6 17 ms 23 ms 13 ms [removed]

7 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms COMCAST-IP.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]]

8 17 ms 15 ms 14 ms te-3-2.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]]

9 20 ms 16 ms 19 ms ge-2-0-0-54.gar1.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]]

10 35 ms 19 ms 33 ms att-level3-oc48.Seattle1.Level3.net [[removed]]

11 46 ms 44 ms 49 ms tbr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [[removed]]

12 46 ms 44 ms 48 ms cr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [[removed]]

13 46 ms 46 ms 48 ms cr2.sffca.ip.att.net [[removed]]

14 47 ms 62 ms 45 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [[removed]]

15 45 ms 49 ms 49 ms tbr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [[removed]]

16 46 ms 45 ms 45 ms [removed]

17 60 ms 48 ms 64 ms [removed]

18 43 ms 47 ms 48 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [[removed]]

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.
Trace complete.
I just went through the WoW support page suggestions, will see if they worked out. sorry bout the delay in response, was on vacation. Thanks!


The timeout after it hits the login server at hop 18 are normal. Blizz blocks everything past that.
What is of concern are the dropped packets on hops 2 & 3. Those seem to indicate a problem on your ISP's part "comcast"

HAve you try calling them and talking to them about the issue yet?
I just chatted with an analyst for the second time and they cannot find any problems with my internet connection, or so they say. I think this is because my connection is only plagued every 20 minutes or so and only for a short time. It is only while playing online games, is it possibly a video card problem? I have a single-card that is SLI ready, could that cause problems?

I just chatted with an analyst for the second time and they cannot find any problems with my internet connection, or so they say. I think this is because my connection is only plagued every 20 minutes or so and only for a short time. It is only while playing online games, is it possibly a video card problem? I have a single-card that is SLI ready, could that cause problems?


I play a few onlline games myself, WoW being one of them. I don't believe that your video card is a problem, (you didn't mention what card you have tho) If video was an issue the problems wouldn't be lag and poor lat, it would be more in the framerate, and video tearing and video glitches.
I read and try to keep up on whats going on in the tech forums at WoW, and I know several folks are having problems with comcast, Blizz has even been talking to them about the issue.
When the tech tells you that everything looks fine, they thinking from the standpoint of web browsing, email, etc. Not high demand apps. and games.

If you can run a few more tracerts to a few different places, i.e. Google.com, comcast.com, and maybe microsoft.com. Save each one in it's own txt file. Then if you can post at least one more then we could tell if that is timeing out on comcast part.
Those files can also be used by the comcast tech so you can show them where your losing packets, getting timeouts.

IMHO I don't think it's your system or on your side of things I believe it is on comcast side.
I have been wrong before, /shrug :) and I'm sure I'll be wrong in the future. But if it was me I would start out by getting comcast explain the timeouts and dropped packets.

Hope that helps some, if you'd like to post another trace or two then we could see if it's timeing out on comcast side again.
We can also figure out the game servers IP while your in the game tabbed out and run a tracert to that server. Ideally it would be best to run the trace while your having the lat issues.

Tonka
ok, so the only tracer I know how to run is to the blizzard logon server, can you tell me the command to send a tracer to say microsoft or google?
So, was thinking about the problem, is there a way to check my ethernet card to assure there is no problem with my hardware. The card is onboard, let me know what you think, thanks!
I don't think it's your network card. You would have different types of problems, i.e. you'd see a "network cable unplugged" "unable to connect to… " etc etc. Because of the tracert it looks to me like it's all on your ISP's end. To run a trace to different places just do the same as you would to the WoW logon severs, but instead of us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com you would replace that part with the other servers you want to trace to. For google it would be - tracert google.com > googletrace.txt (the text file can be anything you want) for microsoft it would be - tracert microsoft.com > MStrace.txt (again anyname you want for the txt file) You get the idea on the tracerts now? it's a good idea to save the traces incase when you talk to the comcast techs you can offer to email the files. Post back with how things are going if you can. Tonka
If you look you'll see that even both of those drop packerts on the 3rd hop. I would talk to your ISP again. Tell them about the tracerts and offer to send them the tracert files. Both of these as well as the 1st all show packets being dropped after they leave your computer and are on the ISP's (comcast) network. If you get a chance also check out the WoW tech forums, I believe they still have a thread stickied about the comcast issues. The bad part is that it's all up to your ISP to fix this problem since it's on thier network. Tonka
I got Comcast to come out to my house, it seems they fixed the problem. I think it was the splitter they put so I could connect my cable and internet through the same outlet. It hasn't given me any problems since thankfullly! Thanks for all the help, have a good one! ~soccerjedi17
i'm glad everything got resolved, thanks for posting back to let everyoneknow how things turned out. Tonka P.S. BrightBlade in WoW :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI