This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Incredible lag spikes

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi WTT :)

I've been reading up on your forums for a bit before I posted to see if I could find any relevant information - it seems as if a lot of people are experiencing the same things I have. I learned a great deal, but I still haven't figured out the problem so I decided to make my own post. :)

I first noticed this while playing World of Warcraft, and I use a laptop connected wirelessly to the internet.

My internet has been working great for about 8 months.. bought a brand new router and wireless box at that time and it completely cleared up the similar problems I was having then. Just a week and a half ago, I began severely lagging on WoW - I haven't lagged in 8 months so I was caught by surprise. My ping went from 151 (which is normal for me) to 400, back to 151, then to 1000, 3000, back down to 151. I called my ISP instantly and they completely refreshed and renewed my connections, settings, etc. Still no help. I restarted my router and wireless and the same problem occured. Now my computer will randomly and completely disconnect my internet for about 2-3 minutes and reconnect all without me having to touch the router. When this happens I can't use anything on the internet (sounds like an obvious statement but i've been asked that question before,) and every other computer in the house on the network disconnects. I also use vent and have major delays now with voices catching up from a 10 second lag spike. My spikes still happen without vent on, and my vent spike has only started with my internet spikes and disconnections.

I brought my router in to my ISP out of frustration and they ran a 6 hour test on it and found nothing. Replaced the wireless with a brand new, never been opened Linksys and, in my opinion, the connection worsened. Had the phone company come out and repair lines, yet they found nothing also. I tried looking up firmware for my router, but literally found no information on it. There's history of firmware downloads being online, but they're broken links. I've port forwarded also, and same deal. This doesn't just happen with WoW but every online game I play.

I did a full virus scan (I use Free AVG and Malwarebytes for scanning) and found two trojans and cookie edits that were deleted immediately.

Router: EQ-660R
Computer: Inspiron 1525 using Vista 32b
Speed Test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/421123363.png


Any and all help are appreciated.. thank you :)

Edit: Cleared up an important typo :)
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums.
:welcome:
Sorry to hear of the problems with your machine.
The fact that your own scans identified 2 trojans may be significant…….somehow these malicious elements got into your machine, and whilst they were there and before your own scans removed them could have got up to all sorts of mischief…..If you have not already had your machine analysed professionally for malware then maybe this is something you should consider.
You can post an HJT log over in:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
(not here please) and a trained malware fighter will analyse your log and advise you on any specific cleaning steps necessary.
For detailed instructions on how to do this, please see here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html (How to download HJT and where to post it)

When your machine has been declared clean, please post back here in this thread if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help
Regards
paws
Hi, we will wait for the all clear on your malware removal thread, but I did have a question about a statement you said… You said, "every other house on the network disconnects…" Did you mean that every other computer in the house on the network disconnects at this same time?

I'm not allowed to offer you any advice until your malware removal thread is cleared, and I suggest at this point you do not make any other changes to your computer until the malware thread is picked up and handled as it can cause confusion on their end. I just had a couple questions I wanted you to clear up about your post. When the malware thread is given the all clear, come back here if you are still having problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI