So the problem is: I have Internet lag spikes every 4-5 min.
It happens only when i surf internet. I'm using Windows XP version 2002 sp3. Downloading, playing internet games, pinging does not have any kind of lag (or has in the beginning but no spikes when its in process). There is one interesting thing when i change OS to Linux, or if i connect my other computer to this internet connection (one computer at a time) this problem does not happen. So I'm guessing it's software based.
What I've tried:
Disabling firewall.
Uninstalling antivirus program.
Restarting Computer / Modem
Reinstalling drivers / Internet browsers
Nothing seems to have any kind of effect on this issue.
I've never had this kind of problem before so not sure what should i do now. So please help me on this one.
I'm a bit confused. It appears you are suggesting that the internet seems to be running stable for all the tests that you run, but at some point during internet browsing you have "lag." The basic tests you ran would be where to start, and it appears those are not showing anything. Therefore, I must ask, how do you know the internet is "lagging," or better yet, what exactly is happening to you that indicates "lag?" Does the problem persist if you try a different internet browser?
It also appears you suggest that some of your downloads, etc. might lag right at first, but then stabilize. Is it also a fact that your webpages take a while to start loading when you change to new pages, and then they run smooth? (They appear unresponsive, then suddenly start loading) Does this sound accurate in describing your problem? This would be indicative of a DNS problem.
Its sounds like the problem I'm having. (They appear unresponsive, then suddenly start loading) <– this is exactly whats happening every 4-5min.
And the problem persist if i use different browser. What should i do to fix this problem?
Do you ever receive an "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" or similar error message from a different browser?
If you have a download in progress that takes longer than 5 minutes, does it ever hang up for a while or fail?
Are you connected wirelessly?
Open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all > test.txt & ping google.com -n 30 >> test.txt & notepad test.txt and press ENTER. The command will take 30 seconds to complete and a notepad window will open. Copy and paste the contents of the file in your next reply.
Take a look in your event log (click start, run, type eventvwr and press ENTER). Expand your application and system logs and take a look for recurring errors or warnings every few minutes.
Lastly, open task manager (ctrl-shift-esc). Keep an eye on your CPU usage over the period of 10 minutes or so. While you are browsing. I am curious, does the CPU usage spike to 100% and stick for a bit when you are having the internet lag?