Hey guys,
Sorry I'm new here and I'm sure you cats have answered this question so many times. If there is another forum topic open with the solution to my problem… please just forward me there as to not waste anyones time.
I have a boss that needed XP reinstalled on his computer because he was having plenty of problems and just wanted to start with a clean installation.
I installed XP on his dell box and now I'm running into the dll problem upon installing certain necessary drivers using InstallShield.
I get the error message "This application has failed to start because LZ32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
Many of the forum topics I read referred to this error message as a problem due to malware. Well I really don't think it's due to that in this instance. I just installed the operating system today and just got the internet working about 15 minutes before this problem arose. The box is still bare. I have installed XP, a nic card driver, and a standard modem driver.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be amazing. Thanks a bunch.
zsjordan.
Ztruker,
I tried your solution and upon restart still am coming up with the same problem.
When i try to install the driver from the InstallShield pack, i get the error message "Error installing iKernel.exe: (0x80000)"
So when I try installing the correct version of InstallShield, i get the message "This application has failed to start because LZ32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
I tried expanding the file and didn't have any problems. Could it be that the computer is looking for LZ32 in a different folder than the default system32 folder?
Thanks
Jacee,
Thanks for the suggestion, but still no avail. iKernel is not currently running and I already deleted the InstallShield folder in common files previously.
I also checked and I do not have a dllcache folder in my 32/
… I'm dumbfounded. The only windows I ever worked with before I went Apple was Windows 2000 and I never heard of a problem like this fresh off the install. What could be causing this?
I just noticed this in your first post: just got the internet working about 15 minutes before this problem arose
It only takes a few seconds some times to pick up malware, especially if there is no Firewall or Antivirus active when the network is active.
What SP level was the CD you installed XP from, SP1 or SP2? If SP1 then even the Windows Firewall is not active when installed.
If this was me, I'd start over again, only this time have SP2 (or better yet, SP3) available on a CD along with good Antivirus software and install them before connecting to the internet. Once thats done, connect and immediately install Windows updates (if you go with SP2, none yet for SP3). Then proceed with installing applications.
It would also be a good idea to have all the necessary drivers on a CD so you can install them immediately, even before installing SP2/SP3.
Ztruker,
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I did as commented and it worked fine second time round. I'm just not use to that problem happening. I have a G5 that runs all day everyday with a firewall and no virus protection. I haven't had one problem in the 3 years I have had it.
Thanks again.
zsjordan.