This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I’m going bald!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have 5 websites on a server and all of a sudden I can’t view none of them on my main computer. No problem when I go use another computer, but all my editing software is on my main computer. Something seems to be blocking the server IP as my main computer will not respond with this server. I’ve cleaned all my history cookies, temp file etc. etc. I even turned off firewall and no luck. I’ve checked windows host file along with restricted sites and all looks good. Why would my computer all of a sudden not be able to view my 5 websites on the same server? I don’t recall blocking or changing anything. I spent the day yesterday pulling all my hair out over this one. I’m bald here…any one have a idea? It has to be the computer as both IE and Firefox are blocked. O GAWD! I have a head ache.
Hi Panda270, welcome to WhatTheTech.

First, lets see if it's Internet Explorer specific or XP global. Install Mozilla FIreFox, see if the problem occurs there as well.

If not then it's an IE problem. Are you using IE6 or IE7?

Hi Panda270, welcome to WhatTheTech.

First, lets see if it's Internet Explorer specific or XP global. Install Mozilla FIreFox, see if the problem occurs there as well.

If not then it's an IE problem. Are you using IE6 or IE7?

I'm using IE 7 and Firefox…both won't connect to the websites…. it just times out when trying.
Are you using DHCP on the main computer (IP and DNS assigned automatically)? If you do a nslookup for the sites on the server, do you get a good response or does DNS timeout? Something like this: c:\>nslookup www.mozilla.org Server: my.router Address: 192.168.2.1 Non-authoritative answer: Name: www-mozilla-org.glb.mozilla.com Address: 63.245.209.11 Aliases: www.mozilla.org DO you get the same response on the other computers?
It’s given me: I'll go check the other puter Non-authoritative answer: Name: www.roadrunnerartifacts.com.stx.rr.com Address: 24.28.193.
Sorry but your response makes no sense to me at all. Is the response the same on both computers? I couldn't tell from what you posted.
Hey this whole problem makes no sense to me. I can’t see where it is causing this on my main computer. I only know of 2 places to check that would be restricted sites in IE and the host file in the windows folder. Both check out o.k. I contacted my ISP today thinking it might be the modem they claim it isn’t but are bringing me a new one in 5 days. When I ping it times out. When I try to load the page it times out on both browsers IE and Firefox. I could understand one url being blocked, but every url on a server being blocked…. I don’t get it. Do you know of any other place on my computer besides the 2 I listed and the firewall this problem could be caused by? I don’t….. Works fine on the other computers
Unless you're willing to follow directions, there really isn't much I can do to help. I'm trying to see what is different between a computer that works and the one that doesn't. That's why I asked you to do a nslookup to your server from both computers, to see if there are any differences.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI