When I went to Microsoft Internet Explorer this morning I decided I'd go to Windows Update to grab any updates. It says I need to download the latest Active X Control. The directions state that a tab at the top of the browser will appear and that I'm to right click and install the control.
The problem is, the tab for downloading the control does not display for me. So to fix this, Windows Update gives a link to steps in order to correct the issue. All they say is to make sure your logged on as an administrator if your on a client side computer, or to simply download the control when you see it. This is my home computer not a client side PC. I have XP Pro. How can I get the tab to appear so I can get the Active X Control and start downloading the windows updates? Thank you.
Well I turned off all my addons and then turned them back on again. Now Windows Update is re-enabled to scan me for updates. Maybe it was just a glitch. Strange. Thanks anyway.
Which version of IE?
Two things to check, if I'm thinking correctly. (Written for IE6)
1. Security Settings
IE>Tools>Internet Options>Security
Make sure that your settings are at "Medium." If it is set at a Custom Level, click that button and check the Active X portion of the list to make sure you haven't disabled downloading of signed ActiveX controls.
2. Browser Plug-ins (add-ons)
IE>Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Manage Add-Ons
Make sure that you haven't got any "disabled" ActiveX Controls for Microsoft.
I'll do a little research while you're checking also. I'm a little rusty on IE and want to make sure I'm right about the next steps before I lead you astray.
I've done the changes you've specified. In the security tab I did find one or two items set to custom. One of which was local sites. So I've reset all the sites to default. So everything says medium security level except for restricted sites. Restricted sites are now high security level. Hopefully in the future when Microsoft sends out an active x control to download the download will display like it said it should. Thank you very much.
Well, I certainly didn't do much for you, but you're very, very welcome. You were already on the right track and I'm glad you found the information useful. Here's hoping you get clean updates from here out!
Thanks. Well I'm learning. I'm actually waiting for my college adviser to set me up with an internship. I'm actually training to be a Help Desk Tech. After the internship I will have my Associates of Technology and Help Desk Certification. It's at least close to what you guys are doing.
That's great, Toruser!
One thing about getting a taste of technology…you always want more. Good thing there's ALWAYS more, haha! I've been out for several years and am just now getting my feet wet again. It's amazing how much things can change in so little time. I'm finding myself as fascinated as I ever was. I'm guessing you feel much the same way about it.
I wish you well in your journey toward your Associates and your Cert. It's a great road to travel and not at all different than the one I came in on!
Yeah for example if you remember laptops use to not have the capability and functionality of a desktop computer. Now laptops can do just as much if not all the things a desktop can. And I've seen on tech tv this guy playing a race car game totally by these devices attached to his fingers. They would somehow read his brain waves and he was able to drive the video game car. Also I just heard that their is something invented in late 1990's called a plasma window. Which in the future could be used in space in the future. Right now of course the windows on the shuttle are very small. But plasma windows may allow for larger windows.
Can't wait for the day when we can just say car take me to Bill's house. It's great.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI