This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

ActiveX stop working after Windows Update

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have no problem with windows, until today. After windows download and installed updates today - ActiveX stop working. When I try to open Windows Update page, or MSN - I just get plank page. If I look at the source - I see: Microsoft Windows Update You have tried to visit Windows Update with a browser that does not support Frames or ActiveX® technology. To learn more about browsers that do support these technologies, please visit the Microsoft Web site.

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

Windows Update uses ActiveX Controls and active scripting to display content correctly and to determine which updates apply to your computer.
Tell me about active scripting and ActiveX controls

To view and download updates for your computer, Windows Update should be listed as a Trusted Site in Internet Explorer.

To add Windows Update to the trusted sites zone:

  1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Security tab.
  3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites...
  4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox.
  5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box:
    • http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    • http://*.windowsupdate.com
Note: If you need to add a URL to the Web Sites list and the Add button is disabled, contact your system administrator.

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.
The same with other pages. I try to uninstall and reinstall the updates. Try to reinstall - IE7, in IE6 I get the same problem. So I install IE7 back - but problem still there. If anyone has any suggestions - please. I understand that reinstalling windows will solve the problem, but it will be rather inconvenient… Thanks.
Hi 'unzim',

Welcome to WhatThetech.

A good idea to follow Doug's advise and post your own topic.

I am not reading you clearly here.

Please go to Add and Remove and tell us if you have Adobe Active X installed.

Am I to understand you are running IE 7.0 OR IE 6.0?

In Windows Updates are you using Automatic or Custom installation?

Post back with more information and please answer the above questions.

There are many ways we can advise you about correcting your Windows Updates installations but firstly we need you to give us more information.

kind regards,
Hello

So:
1. Please go to Add and Remove and tell us if you have Adobe Active X installed
No, I have no such a program.

2. Am I to understand you are running IE 7.0 OR IE 6.0?

I use IE 7, but I try IE 6 to clarify the problem. And the problem was there too. (I uninstall IE 7, try IE 6, then install IE 7 once more)

3. In Windows Updates are you using Automatic or Custom installation?

Automatic.


Thanks for your help.
unzim,

To go to Add and Remove, follow this please:

Start>settings>control panel>Add and Remove> wait for it to load and look for Adobe Active X in the list. It should be near the top.

Regarding your browser, I would stay with IE 6 and please do not keep changing. Your Windows Updates need to be on Custom as there are updates for IE 7 and IE 6, if you keep changing you browser WU will not know what you want to install.
When on Custom you can then choose what you want to update from Windows updater.

What maintenance software are you running and are the definitions up to date? Meaning Antispyware and what Antivirus (only one) software do you have installed?

Have you got a yellow icon in your Systems tray near the clock and if you have and you put your curser over it what does it say?

Happy to help, so please post back with the answers……thanks :)
Hello I know what is it - Add/remove and where it placed. And there is no any - Adobe Active X. I understand what do you mean under Custom update - yes, I myself decide what to update, and I update IE6 to latest. I use Avast antivirus. And it is up to date. No, I install all updates so there is no any yellow icon. Thanks for help.
Okay, your information is sounding better now so download and install from the following site
the Adobe Active X that is suited to your OS (Operating System)

If your Windows Updates for IE 6.0 are up to date, then download and install the latest. Please read all the information before downloading and installing.

Post back and let me know how you get on or if you want more help here.

kind regards, ^_^

Hello

Installed from your link:
1. no any Adobe Active X appear in add/remove
2. Problem on it's place :)


Thanks for your help.


Unzim,

What do you mean by the statement.

2. Problem on it's place

Did you follow the link I sent scrolling down and reading all the information before installing?

I have no more time to night as it is late and it appears you have installed the latest Flash Player.

Get back if you need more help.

kind regards,
How is your computer running since you have the latest Adobe Active X installed Post back and let me know please. kind regards,

Hello

The same way as I write in the beginning of the topic. Nothing changed.
For sorrow.

Thanks for help.


Someone may come by tomorrow to help you, I am sorry it did not work out and that I could not help you more.

kind regards,
Unzim,

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

This test will give us a good perspective of your machine so others may join in and help.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI