This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Webbie Here!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello all! I have to say that I too am rather impressed with the quality of support and the professionalism with which this site is run. I found it, of course, while searching for a solution. (Yes, I posted my log elsewhere.) I've browsed around all day looking at answers, turning up clues…learning. I saw your classroom as soon as I got here. I opened it in a new tab, knowing this would probably be the first place I'd ever "had" to post a log with and need to get this computer done. Now I've made my post, explored this site top to bottom and found my way back to the claswsroom. It blew me away. I've applied. What an amazing opportunity you are offering people, and what a marvelous way to increase the help available out there. Not just in keeping your forum well staffed and up to date–but in the general population, you're creating friends, brothers, aunts "who know how to deal with this thing." Lovely concept. Lovely site. I hope to become a part of it in time. I'm "Webwriter" and most folks just call me Web or Webbie. I'm newly 40, a SAHM with a 2 1/2 year old daughter, married to a great guy in Aviation Repair. Once upon a time, before motherhood fuddled my brain, stole my time and turned me into a brownie baking, Little Einsteins fan…I was a pc tech. Hope to get to know more of you! All the best, Web
Hi web and welcome to the WTT forums :welcome: Thanks for the nice comments about the site. The classroom is a fascinating place to be and I hope your application goes well. I do know that the admins and teachers are very busy at the moment, but hopefully it will not be too long before you get a reply. Often the number of folks posting HJT logs for detailed analysis and then specific disinfection advice and instructions exceed the number of trained volunteer malware fighters available, so if you can, try and be patient (although I know its difficult when you know your machine has been compromised.) Rest assured that they will get to your log as soon as they can…in the meantime take a look around on the rest of the forums…there's a lot to see……maybe with your experience you can help out on some of the postings where you feel its appropriate? (but not on the malware removal forum please) Some of the volunteers will be in a totally different time zone to you as folks contribute from all around the world, so do check back regularly to see the current position…(you should get an email advising you when someone responds to one of your posts) Regards paws
Thanx for a warm welcome and some good advice, Paws. I love the internet for this kind of collaborative help. I'm running like a mad woman all day, but at night, I have time to help. It didn't work so well with real life clients, haha, but in this format time doesn't really make so much difference. I can see where techs can get stretched thin here too. Hopefully, I'll be able to help change that one day. No problem on the patience for the log. It's not my system. I'm fixing it for someone else. (The things I wish I'd known–and why do I keep DOING this to myself?? haha!) It needs to get back into service ASAP, but it will take as long as it takes. The user, to be honest, could stand a bit of "consequence" for ignoring repeated warnings that protection isn't optional. Loving the forums all around. Off to spend some time over in hardware and software to see if I can help/learn anything going on over there. Thanx again! It's really great to see such a nice place reaching out so effectively to educate and help. Friendly too! :D
Hi Web,
It's good to see that you are helping out and responding to some posts..
Its appreciated.

I think I know the reason why a response to your HJT log had not been made yet (apart from the sheer volume of folks who are in trouble and requesting detailed advice and cleaning instructions)…….. The experts on the malware removal forum often look for "unanswered" posts to deal with first. As you have made several posts on your thread, it comes up on my list and theirs! as "replies 3" ( or whatever number) That being the case, a malware fighter on browsing the list looking for the next person to help, may skip over your thread seeing that it has been replied to, in the belief that one of his or her colleagues is already assisting you,

If this is the situation then if you can please leave it until Saturday (5 days since your original post) and then go here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_To_Do_I…931#entry406931

Malware fighters look at these pages regularly just to see if any one has been overlooked.
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
Thanx, Paws. I figured that would happen and was torn about the best method for posting logs. The general instructions warn quite clearly not to bump or re-post because it makes it look like assistance is already underway. The instructions for Smitfraud removal also state that it may be necessary to break all of the logs requested (3) into several posts…. I broke up the logs into different posts knowing it was probably going to delay assistance, but really wanted the ease of reading to be there for my "helper." I appreciate your checking in with me, however, and will wait out my five days with utmost patience. In the meantime, I'll try and help where I can. I'm realizing, however, just how dated my knowledge is these days. Back when I did this full time, HiJackThis was my newest tool and CoolWebSearch was brand new, breaking news! I'm learning far more than I'm helping!
Hi Web Yep all understood…. As Doug ( Global Admin) on this forum often says: "Ask where you need …Help where you can" I am sure you are being unduly modest ……….your skills look pretty up to date from where I'm sitting…but you are right ,things seem to move so quickly…… It seems only yesterday that I upgraded to DOS 3.1…… :rofl: Regards paws
:rofl: Ahhh…the simpler days of DOS! I can recall telling new users they didn't have much to worry about from virus attacks back then, since major installations were really the only targets. My how times have changed! Thanx for the compliments, but the truth is, I'm a research hound. It's not so much what I know, it's where I know to look for answers. After all, I found you all, didn't I? : :D