This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No sound!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was downloading file converters e.g. flv to avi, avi to dvd etc and when complete, lost all sound. Device Manager suggests there are no problems, the connection to the speakers is fine and the sound is not "muted". This has happened in the past and in that case the device manager highlighted the problem (a network adaptor fault), and I was able to fix. At a loss with this one. Anyone out there with an idea how best to resolve this issue? Ran malware scan and system scan; didn't find any problems.
Hi Declan

Check that windows audio service is running under services.

Start–>Run–>Type: Services.msc–> click ok

Find windows audio among them and see if it is stopped.

Or

You can try this:

Start–>Run–>Type: Cmd

Type: net stop "windows audio" (Type all letters, including those " " ) Tell me what it says.

Then do it again, but this time,

Type: net start "windows audio" (Same procedure as above) Tell me what it says.

Regards Abydos
Hi, Under Services.msc it reported that windows audio was started. With net stop and net start windows audio all it said was Windows audio stopping and then windows audio starting. Regards,
Hi Declan Then its very likely a hardware failure, rather than software. Not 100% certain tho, as trouble-shooting sound problems aint one of my strong assets by far. If it should be software-related, I would try uninstall my driver, and re-install, maybe do a roll-back to the previous driver. Regards Abydos
The CD Midi Playback had been disabled! All I had to do was change the settings and we can hear again :thumbup: Thanks for your time and effort.
Hi Declan :) Good you found out. And no worries about my time mate, only glad if I could have helped ^_^ I'll take note of the solution, for further use (As I said, not my strongest trouble-shooting sound :blush: ) Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI