This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound Card Disappeared

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have Windows 98se with an onboard audio -Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter. Not sure what the problem is, but I am getting no sound from the system or the speakers. Evidently this has been a problem for several weeks and I never really noticed. I switched to Verizon DSL a couple of months ago and added more memory a few months ago. I also had some pretty intense problems with viruses a few months ago. So several things could have created the problems. When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected. When I go into Multimedia Properties for Audio, it's grey and says no playback devices. When I try to play a cd with MediaPlayer it gives me an error msg that I have no sound card. Everything is plugged in correctly and I can't find a mute area anywhere. Any ideas how to fix this?

When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected.

Do you remember if there was a wire from you CD drive to the On-Board Audio device? You might have knocked it off when you added the memory.

Have you tried downloading updated drivers for the Audio Device?
I don't remember moving any wires when we added the memory. I guess I can open it up again. But it really scares me to do that. I am afraid of messing it up worse. Plus I cannot find the manual and am not sure where to look for the onboard sound chip. Can you tell me where to look for updated sound drivers? Thanks a lot.
You can try this:


Go HERE and download the "WDM Driver for CS4299".

Unzip it to a folder called Audio or whatever you want. Then, go into Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Device Manager), right click your soundcard (that probably has a yellow question mark) click "Update driver" and navigate to the new folder you selected. Then you should select the cwawdm.inf file (or your device's name) and click OK…


.
Great job :thumbup: You're more then welcome. Glad we were able to help Peace be with you :wavey: You didn't live in Texas years ago did you? I knew some who used TerIB as a screen name is why I ask.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI