I have a 1 year old Panasonic Y7 laptop, duocore with 1.5GB RAM, running XP pro sp3. Suddenly I have no audio sounds. I often have the speakers muted, so I can't say exactly what applications were running when the sound stopped. Went to unmute my speakers, but got no sound. I had been using RealPlayer (version 11) and Firefox browser early in the day when audio was working.
I have gone through troubleshooting, and everything appears in order. The device is listed and enabled (SoundMAX HD Audio device), the drivers are signed and updated, the microsoft ADI AUD driver seems to be what it wants to find. The speakers aren't muted, and using headphones or external speakers does not help. I still can't hear any system sounds or media player.
I have recently done a major clean and upgraded everything, including moving to sp3. I had a virtumonde infection, but things have been running very smoothly for over 2 weeks. I tried to do a system restore to 3 days ago (when audio was functioning) but there were no listed changes, having cleared them out after the virus clean-up. I am newly using Sunbelt firewall, and am spooked enough to have my virus settings pretty high. Is it possible I have blocked my audio device?
Ideas about how to get audio back? thanks for any suggestions.
Do you have a choice of Audio Devices listed under Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio?
That Panasonic driver does not appear to be for a SoundMAX HD Audio device.
Also where are you getting an indication regarding the Microsoft ADI AUD driver?
Audio Devices, listed under Sounds and Audio Devices, is SoundMAX HD Audio.
Under the Sounds and Audio Hardware tab, SoundMax HD Audio is the first listed device. Clicking on its properties brings up the SoundMax general tab (indicating the device status is working properly and use this device is enabled).
The next tab is properties, listing multimedia drivers (audio, mixer, MIDI, line input) and ADI UAA function driver is listed for all. Clicking on ADI UAA properties, indicates driver is enabled and working properly, and "use audio features on this device" is clicked. I went through the troubleshooting wizard at this point, but problem was not resolved.
The third tab is the driver tab, and has SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio at the top, and all of its info with options to update, rollback and uninstall. The driver details button, brings up another window with various exe, sys and dll files listed, including a smax4pnp.exe and a windows/system32/drivers/adihdaud.sys All driver files are signed and have green check marks over the icon, some are Analog Devices some are Windows.
Not sure about the update. I found various KB888111 updates, but only for sp1 and sp2. Seems this is an issue. I have contacted the people I got my laptop from, as they loaded it originally. I'll let you know if I learn anything from them (dynamism.com)
I did find this info via google search http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives…tion-Audio.html
but I don't know anything about this guy, his blog, or fixes. So I did not proceed. The instructions for the install were not totally clear to me.
Very interesting thread there. Due to the Panasonic note it does appear to be an underlying Windows issue.
See what Dynamism has to say.
Also you might try Windows Update uder the Custom tab to see if they have a base audio driver there.
bump on this topic, have a cf-y7 same exact problem, i muted using the FN+HOTKEY on my keyboard, and now i unmute and the windows software shows it as working, but no audio from the speakers, i think a reinstall is the only fix! this is a HUGE bug!
I have got CF-Y7b
I have got some viruses so I reinstalled windows.
HOtkey application was not installed.
Some time later speakers were not working but externall speakers were working when plugged in.
I have downloaded hotkey applicatoin from panasonic site and speakers are working again