I have an Acer Aspire 5536 (vista sp2)
all was well till a couple of days ago, now I have no sound
If I test the speakers in sounds/playback devices then they are working fine but no sound in anything else.. games, movies, youtube, windows sounds.. everything
I have removed and reinstalled the device (Realtek High Definition Audio), reinstalled drivers, basically everything I can think of but still no joy, any ideas??
Thanks
Dave
Go HERE to Acer's driver download area and get the Audio driver specifically for your system.
OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Audio entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.
OK then I need to see what the Audio Properties show as your default audio device.
Go to Start and then to Control Panel Right click on the Sound or Audio Devices and then click on Properties
At the top of the window click on Audio and what does it say for Default Audio Device?
Click on Playback and same information?
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up
Thanks for the reply but I've sorted it now.. sorry I forgot to close the thread
It was a corrupt registry..[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32] and others had had their permissions changed somehow, so any administrator account wasn't working properly, standard users were fine.
I used SubInACL with a script I googled and this has reset the registry permissions and everything is fine now
Thanks again for your help