Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

lost internet audio

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hey out there, Hope all is well with you folks. Here in Nashville Tn. we're slowly digging out from under all the flooding. My problem is minor,but annoying, compared to so many flood victims! While writing a backup CD with Nero my computer crashed. With great difficulty, I got back up and running only to find that the crash had put a hole in my Comodo firewall. Uninstalled and reinstalled both firewall and AV Avast. All seems to be working fine except I have no internet sound. I think the problem is software, since I can play a CD , and I get the little voice tell me the computer has finished power on self test and is now booting from operating system. Went to device driver and checked volume settings, and for mute all seems well there. Checked C-Media mixer, no mute and all volumes are at the top. Windows XP Home is the operating system, and I use Firefox. Any help would be greatly appreciated as a "dumb" computer is no fun! Thanks, Billed

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear about the problem with the sound....... As you can hear Cds playing its likely that you are right about the problem and perhaps its Windows sounds that are "missing" Try this: 1 Click on Start 2 Click on Control Panel 3 Click on Sounds and Audio devices 4 On the tabs at the top click on Sounds 5 Set the Sound scheme to....Windows Default (use the scroll arrow if its not immediately in view) 6 Click No to the warning box asking if you want to save etc..... 7 Now look in the box labelled Program Events....scroll down to Exit Windows and click on it to highlight it...actually any sound will do but you will be familiar with the Exit Windows sound 8 In the White box you should see something like Win XP Sutdown.wav 9 Click on the little right pointing arrow to the right of that 10 Do you hear a sound.?.....if you do then rejoice, if not then post back and we will ask you to dig a little deeper into your system. Regards paws

Edited by paws, 12 May 2010 - 11:58 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hey Paws, Thanks for the quick reply! I followed your instructions, but when I clicked the little right pointing arrow there was no sound. You did make me think, there is no sounds after the power on self test. Thanks, Billed

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Take a look in your Device Manager.

Any Red or Yellow Warnings?
Any Black (!) exclamations points?
Any "unknown Devices" listed?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hey Doug, I went to the device manager and checked, and there are no red or yellow warnings, no exclamation marks, or unknown devices. :angry: This is proving to be stickier than I expected. Thanks for your interest, Billed

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

You use Firefox. That's fine. I also use Firefox for most of my online work.

Does the same problem exist if you browse using Internet Explorer?

In Firefox have a look in Tools - Options - Applications
Scroll through to see what applications are configured for online audio use.
Clicking on any such application will give you a pull-down menu to use the applicaiton, Other, or save to file (and maybe some other options)
Check those settings to be sure that you actually have an application that is being responsive to audio content.
Windows_Media_Audio.jpg

#7 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hey Doug hope all is well, 1. I have no sound with Internet Explorer. 2. Went to FireFox Applications and found several applications, such as AAC Audio, AIFF Audio... that use QuickTime plug-in 7.6.6, and several applications, such as Windows Media Audio file, and Windows Media Audio/Video file etc. that use Windows Media Player plug-in Dynamic Link library . I checked plug-ins, and they are both there. I was remiss in my last posting for not mentioning that I have learned a great deal reading your general posts on computer security. We computer duffers appreciate your work. Thanks, Billed

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Let's see if the problem is one of Codec (audio decoding) file corruption.

Download and install K-Lite Mega codec
http://www.free-code...ck_download.htm
Be careful what you click on (there are a lot of advertisement links on the page you should avoid)
K_lite_Mega_Codec_Download.jpg

You can read more about K-lite Mega Codec Pack here
http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Be careful to not click on advertisements on the page
K_lite_Mega_Codec.jpg

#9 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hey Doug I'm back, Life has dealt me several pressing issues. They have been solved. I downloaded and installed K-Lite Codec Pack. Three of the unstalls failed, so I used Revo Unistaller to uninstall FFdShow, Nimo Codec, and Xvid Pack. Then during the installation I got several messages that indicated that : Hkey_Local_Machine\software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\drivers32 Regcreatekeyex failed; code 5; access denied. The window included a recommendation to ignore which I did. At the end of the setup, the following appeared; Setup has detected that some registry keys are missing. This will cause sound problems in some applications. Should Setup fix? I chose yes. Of course, I still have no sound, but the exercise did pinpoint the problem, I think, to the registry. I'm in over my head, I have no clue how to repair the registry. Thanks, Billed

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Looks like a permissions problem...
Take a look here:
http://www.pchelpfor...ess-denied.html
but before you even get near the registry please back it up by downloading Erunt from here:
http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html
install erunt and then use it to back up the registry
If these steps don't fix it then you may be looking at either living with it, or doing a repair installation of your os, (non destructive) so make sure all your important stuff is backed up safely to removable media is up to date and reproducible.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#11 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

PAWS YOU DID IT! :woot: I use Erunt so I went and found an old backup and restored with it. I had some problems with Avast, so I uninstalled and downloaded again. I also uninstalled K-Lite and reinstalled it. Still got some registry messages during installation, but now I have sound!! Thanks a bunch, Billed

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:22 AM

well done, glad you got it fixed :thumbup: but credit to Doug who came up with codec fix. Regards paws

#13 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

Paws you are so right, A big high 5 to Doug! :thumbup: You guys amaze me, not only do you know these machines inside and out, but you also know where this stuff is in the nooks and crannies of the internet. GOOD WORK! Thanks again, Billed