This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound No longer works on computer after following instructions here

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Thanks for your recent help cleaning out problems with my computer. The HJT thread has now been closed. A link is attached.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Please_Help_…867#entry574867

Somehow, during this process I lost sound on the computer. I hope yu can help, or direct me to somewhere else that may be able to help.

Whenever I try to use a device that involves sound I get a message similar to

"Unable to play back audio. No device detected in your system. The movie will play, but you will not hear any sound."

If I open the Sounds and Audio Device Properties in Control Panel, there is a message under the volume tab which states that there is no audio device , but under the hardware tab, Avance AC'97 Audio has status "This device is working properly."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
go to your
Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - then Double-Click

Sounds and Audio Devices Properties should appear

Inspect to be sure that Device Volume is somewhere in the middle range and that Mute is not checkmark/ticked
Also it is useful to checkmark/tick "Place volume icon in the taskbar"

Does that solve your problem?
If not consider:

Download and install a Codec Pack.
I have been using K-Lite Mega Codec for several years with several machines and OS's
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite…_codec_pack.htm
Works good for me.

Post back if problem persists.
Its possible that you will still need to reinstall your RealTek drivers, but please try the above first.
Also let us know if the "sound problem" is specific to Ipod, Itunes, or is also a problem with Windows Media Player and/or other media players.

Best Regards
Thanks Doug Under Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, the message is "No audio device" and the check boxes you referred to are ghosted. I installed the codec pack and rebooted, but sadly no impact. In case it helps, I thought I'd mention that under the hardware tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices there is a list that goes: Avance AC'97 Audio Audio Codecs Legacy audio drivers Media Control devices Legacy video capture devices & Video codecs For each, the message on the panel is "This device is working properly" Hope you can help. Andrew
Hi Andrew

Try the following;

Start, choose Run, type: Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Audio. Rightclick and choose properties.

See if the service is disabled, if it is, use the drop-down menu to set it to automatic.


Regards
Thank you Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Windows audio entry in either the standard or the extended 'tab' list
Thanks again There is now a windows audio entry in the list Its status is blanked out. When I attempt to start it, an error panel comes up "Could not start the Windows Audio service on local computer. error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service" Thanks again for your help Andrew
Go into services again. Find the new entry of Windows Audio service. Choose properties yet again. Now check what dependencies the service have. Any listed services there, should be checked if they are started. And all should be set to automatic start.
When I click on properties, an error panel comes up with the message "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device"
Ok. Goto start, control-panel Select System, Hardware tab Device manager Find your Sound card, and rightclick it. Choose uninstall / remove, and reboot the machine. Windows hardware wizard will now install it again upon restart. Check the service again. Check sound.
Sorry, when I click OK on the message I do get another series of boxes Listed dependencies are: The service depends on the following system components Plug and Play Remote Procedure Call (RPC) DCOM Server Process Launcher The following system components depend on this service No dependencies Under the general tab of the properties box Startup type is listed as automatic Service status is "Stopped" There is a start button, but if I press it I get the same error message as previously "Could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service"
Ok, Andrew, give me some time. just need to verify something regarding a enum subkey in the registry. Be back as soon as possible. Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI