This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Installer driving me nuts!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I used the System Restore faculty on my recently-purchased Dell Inspiron 9300 running Windows XP. To be more accurate, I used the Windows Restore, not the entire system function. Everything went fine except that now, any time I click on Internet Explorer, or open a system function or just look at the blasted monitor cross-eyed, the dang Windows Installer keeps popping up and running. No details on what it is allegedly installing. I can cancel it out and whatever I'm trying to do runs just fine. Or, if I let it do its thing, it self-completes and closes in a minute or two and everything runs just fine. But it's annoying the heck out of me! How do I get it to stop?! And what on earth does it think it's trying to install? Thanks!
Hi :).

This could be caused by a myriad of reasons. So I can evaluate better what course of action to advise may I ask what reason prompted you to perform a rollback to a system checkpoint I am surmising with system restore?.

EDIT: Is this reason why from your other post?.
garthfan0523, If you have Microsoft Office installed, try COMPLETELY UNINSTALLING OFFICE - reboot the REINSTALL office. Between the uninstall and reinstall, check to see if IE brings up that annoying message. From the posts I've found on the Internet - it seems to be related to your Office install - i.e. IE is trying to install some add-on or such from office and Windows cannot access the Office CD. Let me know if this helps. - John

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI