This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft installer?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Many times a day, a little popup window appears. It says "MicroSoft Installer. Please wait while microsoft installer prepares your system." Then it says it is going to upgrade Microsoft Word 2000 to premium status. Then it asks for the Microsoft Word CD (which I can't find anyhow!) Then it allows me to cancel the upgrade. The trouble is, it takes about 10 minutes to get through all this. Or it used to; now it just freezes my computer, and I have to use the Task Manager to close it, which closes Crazy Browser and all my work. When it first pops up, it has a cancel button. If I click it, it says "canceling …" (Is that spelt wrong? This is why I wonder if it really is a MicroSoft window) After it 'cancels', it pops back up about 30 seconds later, and will continue to popup all day long. It probably wastes over an hour of my time each day. So, can I stop it? I'm running Windows XP pro, and I hate this little popup window! mandy
Well first off, since it says "MicroSoft" with a capital S, it most likely is not. Alot of spyware/pop-up windows try to imitate that they are legitimatley from microsoft, when in reality they are just bogus. Do you have any antivirus/spyware removal software on your computer? If you do run that and see if it goes away. If that does not work download a program called Hijackthis. Run a scan and save a log, then post in the "Hijackthis" forum
Hi there, I will second that….especially as 'Premium version' is not normal MS language either. Scans for malware and an HJT log in the appropriate forum is the way to go ;) Big Smiles HS

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI