This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to download anything!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have been dealing with this problem for months and months and have tried everything I can to try and find/fix the problem. Even asking one of my friend's who is a computer geek. But nothing. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. It is about 3-4 years old and just recently…. Probably a year ago or so it all of the sudden stopped downloading anything. It will make the act… For example, I've tried to download a virus protector and it makes the act of downloading it. The download window pops up and it downloads to 100% and scans it and all that good stuff, but when I double click on it…. nothing, not like it use to do when I'd double click it and the thing popped up and asked if I want to run it. Instead there is just nothing. I go to my "download" folder to see if it even downloaded there and nothing. This happens with anything and everything I try to download. I've tried on FF and IE, same thing. I am in the administrator role and I have checked all security settings to enabled/prompt. Still nothing. If there is anything y'all can give me I will be truly grateful! If there is anymore information y'all need from me to help solve this problem PLEASE let me know!! :) Thank you so much!
Hi, and welcome to the WTT forums, Sorry to hear of the problems with your downloads. If this problem started a year ago and you have not been able to download anything since then despite trying for months then its likely that your anti virus and anti spyware and possibly your firewall will be in an non updated state thus creating an easy target for the bad guys to get malicious code onto your machine. In addition not updating your Windows Vista operating system with the latest security patches, and possibly running older and more vulnerable versions of common programs like Acrobat Reader, Flash, and Java is likely to make your security situation even worse. Its probably best therefore for you to consider reloading your operating system from a fresh start (reformatted system partition) so that you know that you are starting from a sound basis. Obviously its wise to make sure that your back up/copy/archive of everthing that is important to you on your machine is 100% accurate up to date, reproducible and kept safe on removable media. At the same time make sure that you have the executable files for your anti virus products, required service packs and drivers (particularly your network adapter driver) Make a note (keep it secure) of all your user names, passwords etc and application serial numbers( including of course the one for Windows itself. Once you have reloaded your operating system do not connect to the Internet until you have installed/activated your protections…. firewall anti virus etc…when you first connect then use the machine for nothing other than updating your protections and installing Windows updates…. Regards paws
Agree with paws.
Additionally if you if you still have time to make some scanning and cleaning of your computer then you may try below:
1. download avast, malwarebytes and ccleaner from other computer.
2. install newly download protection
3. scan your computer using those 3 application starting from avast, malwarebytes then ccleaner.
4. try fixing/cleaning your registry using ccleaner. <– Not Supported by WTT Forums Edit by Doug

I hope that helps.

Agree with paws.
Additionally if you if you still have time to make some scanning and cleaning of your computer then you may try below:
1. download avast, malwarebytes and ccleaner from other computer.
2. install newly download protection
3. scan your computer using those 3 application starting from avast, malwarebytes then ccleaner.
4. try fixing/cleaning your registry using ccleaner. < Jaydee You have recived a warning from Doug that we at WTT do not endorse such use of a registry cleaner.

I hope that helps.



J_Byrd,

A word of caution here WTT does not support nor endorse use of registry cleaners, by doing so you will be doing this at your own risk. Please make a note of this.

Jimbo1
When using an Automated Temporary File Cleaner like CCleaner to remove Temporary and Temporary Internet Files it would make more sense to run CCleaner BEFORE running your Antivirus and AntiSpyware… because you will reduce the number of files to be scanned and possibly make your other scans a bit faster. WTT Forums does not recommend using CCleaner "Issues" registry cleaner/optimizer, unless you are already very familiar with the Registry and capable of repairing damage that may occur automatically and without your awareness.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI