i have a problem with the windows installer. when i open internet explorer a little windows pops up trying to run windows installer. it continues and sometimes asks for a cd or something. also, when i tried installing a program, it says "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed."
I've called Dell support and they've told me that I have to repair XP. Is there any other way to fix this problem?
I found a Microsoft article that may apply to this…..scroll to Update the Windows Installer files . As with any adjustments use caution in making registry changes. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed
i tried step one and upon restarting, windows installer opened up once again and i got a window titled: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003. It says that i have an installation error:file not found. Required installation file SKU011.CAB could not be found.
If you bought the machine from Dell, you can most likely get the XP installation CD from them for a modest price. Last time I checked, it was $9.00 US. I highly recommend that you get the CD to have on hand for exactly this present kind of situation.
Best Regards