This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Ehh, BIOS help please.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So, I'm trying to re-install windows, but it will not boot the disc when I put it in and restart. I then change the BIOS to boot to disc, but when ever I change anything in my BIOS, even if I set it to defaults, it will just turn my monitor black, until I pull all the power from the tower, and remove the motherboards battery for 30 seconds. Any idea of what to do? Please and Thank you.
Please understand that reformatting is ALWAYS a last ditch effort. When you format your boot drive, you lose:
  • All hardware drivers, including:
    • Drivers specific to XP SP2 (or Vista),
    • Drivers specific to your motherboard, such as those needed for on-board graphics, sound, networking, USB I/O, SATA/SCSI controllers, etc.
  • Data files - including,
    • Documents, spreadsheets, databases, etc.,
    • Photos, music/audio and video,
    • Email (if using Outlook Express, Outlook or another "client" (PC) based email program), as well as any saved contacts, appointments, and notes,
    • Favorites/Bookmarks,
    • Downloaded programs and updates to them, including all your required security applications,
    • Custom configurations, for Windows and all other programs,
…and worst of all,
  • Security patches and Critical Updates setting your security defenses months, or even years behind!
At the very least, you should attempt to repair your installation of XP before attempting to format and reinstall. See Michael Stevens XP Repair Install for complete instructions and necessary precautions.
*****

After you pull the battery, in effect, resetting the BIOS, on the first boot, you need to go right back into the BIOS Setup Menu and ensure all your drives and RAM are recognized, and your date and time is set correctly - then Save and Exit. Then try to change the boot order.
I have already formatted everything, and am now running Ubuntu Linux, as that was the only thing I could get to work. It's just my BIOS or Motherboard…

It's just my BIOS or Motherboard…

Well, since the BIOS is an integral part of the motherboard, a bad BIOS can mean bad motherboard.

Did you make sure you motherboard can run Linux? Not all can.
No, I did not check. But it has been happening now for a while, this is just the only time I decided to do something about it. Even when I had Windows installed, it would do that. Ever since I took all the power away from my motherboard (Un-plugged, and battery taken out) the first time, it has been doing this.
Well, the only other thing I would suggest is disconnecting all extra devices, such as extra opticals, drives, cards, RAM and especially USB devices and run with the fewest devices possible. Otherwise, it does not look good for the motherboard. What is the make and model of the board?
Well, I don't think I am being too helpful in this case. :( I found a couple places where users using the ABIT KR7A-133 (not the RAID version) with linux, but nothing on your board specifically. I am afraid my experience with Linux with such an old motherboard (pushing 6 years now) is limited. Perhaps someone else reading.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI