This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

set up Bios

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My asus laptop k55a could not boot from cd rom. I loaded a new Os on it win 7 and removed Win 8 but now it only goes straight to set up bios when I boot. How do I fix this. No HDD or DVD is in the bios for it to boot from. I tried getting to DOS and creating a drive for it to boot from but it not working. It always goes back to set up when I boot
I took the hard drive out and placed in another laptop and loaded the OS. I know it is said that they have different bios and all and won't work but I've done it before with other PC's and they work.
I'm going to get another Asus computer and reload and see if that will overcome the problem. I did it using an acer laptop. But I got to solve this problem
Did you wipe out the Recovery partition when you installed Windows 7 or just replace the Windows 8 partition. Try using the built in Recovery and see if that works. It will get you Windows 8 back if that's what it came with. Sounds like you didn't like it, but if you add a Start Menu like Classic Shell or Start8 then set it to boot to the Desktop then you basically have Windows 7 and still have access to play with the Metro Interface if you want. It's what I and many other folks are doing. 📎AsusRec.jpg 📎AsusRec2.jpg
I didn't know I could create that start up menu and I just didn't like it so I deleted the entire thing from the HDD. The recovery section is completely gone.
Can you boot from USB (a flash drive)? If so, read on.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed,you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.
It is able to boot from USB but I couldn't get to download the bootable windows 7 from the site I went to. I'm a amateur I guess to this. Just finish the repairs course and not all together verse on all the stuff that can be done. Should that file be the only thing on the disk drive? I however downloaded the USB easy installer. The windows 7 I see are in chineese, dutch and Danish. can these work and the language changed? I downloaded the win 7 file. start up the pc with the usb disk. it boot to set up and I went to boot file. I now see boot option #1 is UEFI:SCANDISK CRUZER GLIDE 1.26. tHIS SUGGEST THAT I CAN BOOT FROM MY DISK. When I go into ADD NEW BOOT OPTION. The SELECT FILE SYSTEM says PCI(ID/0)\USB(1,0)\ USB(3,0)\HD (PART 1,Sig00000000) add boot option and path for boot option are blank I typed in path for boot option E:\X17-59297(WIN 7 INSTALLER).ISO.6 WRDRES. It didn't work so I typed in UEFI:SCANDISK CRUZER GLIDE 1.26. None of them work but i'm sure it can boot I see the disk lighting up so it must be I didn't give it the right command.
Thanks for the information team. I found out that warranty was on that pc so I sent it back. I know it can be done but never had all the tools to get it done.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI