This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trouble w/Windows Installer, Office 2003, Network Connections

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The other programs would be QuickBooks, Quicken, MS Office, etc. Yes the "shop" said it would be a certain dollar amount to clean up the computer & have it running as it did when I first got it. He did not give me anything in writing & I haven't paid anything yet. Thanks, Mary I just got off the phone with the shop. The guy said it would take a couple more days. He said he has removed a bunch of spyware & that it was time consuming. :scratch: I told him I had already run anti-spyware but he stopped me & said that several programs needed to be run in order to catch everything. At that point I backed off. He's got the computer now & it's kinda out of my control. I'll be thankful to get it back & won't ever take anything to his "shop" again. A friend had used him before & said he was good. I checked our states Better Business Bureau & he didn't have any reports - bad or good - about his business which started in 2005. Granted he hasn't been in business real long but………. I'll have to mark this down a lesson learned. :blush: Mary :smack:
Hello to all! :wavey: I wanted to give an update. Still don't have the computer back. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - not that, that will help with what I've gone through, but at least I've filed a complaint. :rant2: The "shop" has fixed the hinge but is still "working" on the reason I took it in there in the first place. Being a one man shop - he has taken on the "southern way" of doing things - Not in any kind of hurry to get things done - except when yelled at. I will make sure "when" I pick it up that everything works as it should. I need advice on what he has told me so far - which is- that the computer had a lot of viruses & problems that stemed from that. My question is - Is that possible given the things I went through with everyones help on this web site? He's going to wipe everything off & reload. I'm hoping to get my life - I mean my computer - back tomorrow. But to be truthful I"m sure it won't be until Monday…. (Which puts it as being at the "shop" for 3 weeks.) :angry: What are your thoughts about Norton? He (the shop guy) likes the corporate version of Norton? Thoughts? I started looking into getting a new notebook but the options are a little limited if you want XP Pro SP 2 & I wasn't real thrilled with the programs that came with them. I was checking on Toshiba's web site & Dells & a couple of others. Is there anywhere else I could check that I can trust? (I need the notebook so that I can easily transport from place to place.) My best to everyone, Mary :blush:
That is probably a better choice then the retail Symantec AV product but I would recommend not installing it, but instead installing AVG Free for Anti-virus and Comodo for a firewall. Does a very good job and uses a whole lot less resources.
Thanks, Where do I go to get them? I've not been a big fan of Norton because it really bogged everything down. I installed it on my computer 2 years ago & quickly uninstalled it a day or so later. Mary
Sorry, I should have provided that information in my previous post.

AVG Free - make sure you get the Free one
Comodo Personal Firewall - also make sure you get the Free one

I'll add two more that I use and like. I like them for their defensive capabilities.

Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI