This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trouble w/Windows Installer, Office 2003, Network Connections

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a laptop Toshiba Satellite M60-S8112TDOS Windows XP Pro SP2 Intel Pentium M Proessor 760 (2.00GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB) Hard Disk Drive:  100GB (5400 RPM)MS Office 2003 I ordered the computer directly from Toshiba.com just over 2 years ago Is it possible for .NET Framwork 2.0 Service Pack 1 update, be the cause of the following problems:(If yes and/or no - what can be done?)  :scratch: Loss of and/or problems with Windows Installer (can't update anything on MS site) No longer have access to Excel or Word Loss of all Network Connections listings (I've posted on one of the other forums for help on that) System very slow (5 minutes) to access the C drive  :whistling:  :popcorn:  :pepsi: I've worked with LDTate & cleaned the computer.  Still having the same above problems .http://forums.whatthetech.com/Windows_XP_Pro_V_2002_Service_Pack_2_t89164.html&p=441821#entry441821 I need help………I have spent days to weeks on this looking for answers from MS as well as Toshiba - with no luck at all.   :wall: The problems only seemed to get worse.  :pullhair: This form is my last "Hail Mary"  :weee: Thanks :notworthy: Mary
Thanks, I've gone to the site -as well as the site link you gave me that I have on the other forum. I spent all of yesterday looking over more of MS support pages. :weee: That's how I came more & more to the conclusion that it all - may be having to do with the .NET Framework. But am at a loss as to what to do about it. :scratch: I'm not going to able to do much with the computer for the next 2 days but have printed the blog for uninstalling the framework & will try & read up & maybe follow what they've done. BTW -I have uninstalled the Framework before & then reinstalled & that's when everything went to pot………. :wall: :rant2: But I know that this blog is another way of uninstalling. :) I'll let you know what i've done. Thank you for your continued support & help! :wavey: Mary
I give up. :pullhair: I have spent more hours reading Aarons Stebner's WebLog & MS web site this afternoon. There appears to be a real problem with this update but everyones computer reacts differently. Since this has been going on for some time now, with the MS .NET Framework, there is a lot of information out there. However, some is outdated, and/or new & better ways to work around the problems make it difficult to understand what to do. I think I remember reading that Aaron had created a program that can be run to evaluate the .NET Framework but I have no idea what to do with that information. I don't know what to do………..I understand some of the things I have read, but other things are way over my head. :smack: Mary
Hello Mad,

I am sorry to see you are having so many problems with your .NET Framework installation.

Can we start again here?

Please, briefly describe your problem now that you are having on your computer.

I would suggest you do a PCPitstop scan, then we can help you with your overall problem here on WTT.

Post back with your results, and we will read your log and help you accordingly. :)

Kind regards,
_______________

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.
Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Rrunning as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.
Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since WTT is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.
:adios: Hi tallin! Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry that I'm not home right now with my computer. (I just had to get away!) I should be able to run the PCPitstop scan later tonight & send you the results & a report as to what all I have done leading me up to the current troubles I'm incountering right now. :( Until then…………… Mary :)
Here you go. I hope I did this right. Let me know……..
Thanks,
Mary

== PC Pitstop TechExpress Link ==

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=4WYPSWUAT3GSLZ0G

By clicking on this link, you will be able to view all
key operating parameters and characteristics of this PC,
such as hardware devices and status, installed software
and revision levels, system component details (CPU, hard
drive, graphics), Internet performance and status,
running software applications, benchmark test results,
disk fragmentation, and much, much more.
Mary,

Well done…………..perfect, but we have a lot of work to do on your system with the information given.
It will take me sometime to compile a reply to you, so for the moment you can click on all the Customized Tune Up Tips where you will be guided step by step to correct each problem.

Unless you are having Driver problems please skip that tip. New is not always best, and if all is okay in that department…………ignore.

I will get back to you later today…..here it is 1.34pm Wednesday. It is your Tuesday evening if my guess is correct, so the post will certainly be there for you when you awake.

kind regards, :)
You're correct as to the day & time.  It's late, I'm tired & there is a bad storm going on outside right now.  I think I'll get some rest & tackle this tomorrow.  The C drive has been very, very, slow to pull up.  I tried doing a defrag a couple of weeks ago & the information said it wasn't necessary.  I'll go through & do the Tune Up Tips tomorrow & leave the C drive alone. The weather is not real good right now - so I'll sign off & check in with you tomorrow. Take Care, Mary
Hello Mary,

We will hasten slowly here.

How many processes are running when you click Ctrl>Alt>Delete one after the other >Process tab?

There are several items below I suggest you attend to:
  • Your Java x 2 installations are out of date, please uninstall through Add and Remove
  • Download the latest Java HERE (#1 at the top.)
  • Here is a link to update all your software, run it monthly to keep up to date.
  • Follow all Customized Tune Up Tips including for C:\Drive
  • Go to Add and Remove and uninstall any old Software you no longer use.
  • Add Aware SE Personal is no longer the best of the Antispyware programs, consider uninstalling it.
  • Download SUPERAntispyware here. It is a much better program for fighting Spyware.
If you do not use the Speech Option in start > settings >control panel > Regional and Language > language tab > details > put a tick in advanced text services > apply > okay. This is mostly an unnecessary startup item that is not needed.

There are other items to address - minor, but this is enough homework at this stage for you to cope with.

Please post back with another scan when you have completed all the above tips.

kind regards,
:wavey:
The link to the new scan:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=4WYPSWUAT3GS9X0G

Didn't understand which of the 3 Java's to uninstall so I didn't do it
I did update Java
Couldn"t do the filehippo.com update checker. Message came up:
Filehippo.com update client has encountered a problem & needs to close
Then I got:
Microsoft IE Execute Shell has encountered a problem & needs to close
Did most of the Customized Tune Up Tips
Did the Disk MD defrag
Updated device drivers
Removed a few software programs including Add Aware SE Personal
Downloaded SUPERAntispyware

Having done all that - I still don't have anything listed in the Network Connections,
Can't use MS Office
And the C drive is still slow………… :smack:
(I so hoped that the driver updates would do something to correct the above.) :(
:pullhair:
(You kept me busy all day today. My dog, is not a happy camper.)

Balls in your court - I guess? :notworthy:
Mary
Greetings mad tallin asked me to have a look as well on your troubles, so I hope you dont mind if I put forth a suggestion or two. First let me say that your issues are bit like trying to capture a octopus and I just dont know which leg to hold down first. (humor intended) I can completely understand your frustration with this and for the sake of getting your computer back on line I would like you to consider if you really want to work through what could be possibly several days of configurations and changes. Obviously a number of important features and files have been scrambled in your computer. I am concerned that trying to sort them out long distance ,with no assurance that we are going to be successful at the end , would truely frustrate a saint. What would normally take a Tech a few minutes in front of your computer can take hours by forum posts. A Tech at hand maybe worth two on a forum. With this said, you may wish to consider backing up your personal files and do a reload of your operating system and applications. It may be the quickest and least painful way to sort out this problem. To put it back to the out of the box state. If you are of the mind to adjust, tinker, modify and spend the time messing with the computer vs the other uses for your time, we would be more than happy to guide you through it. The ball is right back at ya :D Regards Kaz
:thumbup: Got it. Guess I kept thinking with each step that might solve some of the problems. I don't know what to do at this point. :wall: I have to file taxes, for an organization that I volunteer for & handle the bookkeeping, by March 15th. I think that I'll be able to piece together everything I need to do that at this point - so - I'll work on that for now - and get that pressing issue- hanging over my head done - before the government fines the organization for late filing. I've been & am involved with several organizations that are run by volunteers and understand all too well that some things take more time to get done when you depend on volunteers (and in What the Tech's case, that live all over the world) vs paying for the service…. Sorry if I seemed impatient. :blush: I am very thankful to be getting help from this site & everyone that works to make things happen. :notworthy: What do I need to do to back up & reload?
Hi Mary,

Kazzoo very kindly stepped in at my request to give another opinion regarding your continuing problem.

What backup have you got at this present time? So important as with your type of work it is not only essential but wise for any computer owner to have good backup.

If in your case the answer is NONE :smack: without going into image backup at this stage, you should have a backup Winbackup included in your Windows operating system to do a quick backup of selected files to an external HD.

Go to start, click on programs, and look for Winbackup in your programs installed. Open it and follow the prompts to backup to an External HD (if you have one) that would be cabled via a USB port . Don't be tempted to backup to your C:\Drive as if it fails so will you backup. Hard Drives are relately cheap, but do get at leat 160GB capacity, no less is not wise.

Please post back as we are all here to help, let us know your next move.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI