batkamba
Topic Starter
Background Information:
HP Pavillion a1632x Desktop PC
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM
320 GB HD
Windows XP Media Center Version 2002 SP3
Windows Installer Version: 3.1.4001.5512
Issue: Getting Windows Installer Error Message when installing Java Update and other programs which require Windows Installer. Installer can not uninstall old version of Java or install new version. Exact Message is: "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Can occur if running in safe mode, or windows installer is not properly installed." Another related issue is that Windows & Office Updates can not install. They download fine, just can't install.
I have referrenced other postings on this site, referenced the Windows help site, and have checked other help websites. Based on all of this, I have tried the following:
Attempted Fixes already tried:
1) Unregistered and re-registed Windows Installer. Seemed to work OK, however issue still exists.
2) Attempted to Re-install Windows Installer version 3.1. Get error message indicating that "A newer version of Windows Installer is already installed. Can not install this update."
3) Tried to install Windows Installer version 4.5. Was not able to install. Error messages after installing part of the way, uninstalls and then reboots the machine.
4) Suspected that I might have a virus issue. Was not able to run AdAware in regular mode on PC (stopped / locked up about 1/2 way through). Had to reboot in Safe Mode to run a full scan. Was able to detect and delete "Win32 Trojan Installer Agent" when in Safe Mode.
5) Ran Avast!, SpywareBlaster, A2Free, and Spybot. No other issues detected.
6) Installed a new new programs to check for issues. Malwarebytes AntiMalware, ThreatFire, Advanced System Care, Glary Utilities, WinPatrol all installed, ran and no other issues detected.
Nothings seems to work. Not sure if this is still a virus that I am not able to detect. At this point, I am out of options after spending the past 4 days on this issue off and on.
Listed below is the HJT Logfile I just ran. Not sure if you need this, but figured it can not hurt.
I appreciate any help and advise you can provide.
Thanks in advance for you help!
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:43:04 PM, on 11/29/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
HJT_for_batkamba.txt
EDITED by Doug to present HJT Log as Attached file.
HP Pavillion a1632x Desktop PC
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM
320 GB HD
Windows XP Media Center Version 2002 SP3
Windows Installer Version: 3.1.4001.5512
Issue: Getting Windows Installer Error Message when installing Java Update and other programs which require Windows Installer. Installer can not uninstall old version of Java or install new version. Exact Message is: "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Can occur if running in safe mode, or windows installer is not properly installed." Another related issue is that Windows & Office Updates can not install. They download fine, just can't install.
I have referrenced other postings on this site, referenced the Windows help site, and have checked other help websites. Based on all of this, I have tried the following:
Attempted Fixes already tried:
1) Unregistered and re-registed Windows Installer. Seemed to work OK, however issue still exists.
2) Attempted to Re-install Windows Installer version 3.1. Get error message indicating that "A newer version of Windows Installer is already installed. Can not install this update."
3) Tried to install Windows Installer version 4.5. Was not able to install. Error messages after installing part of the way, uninstalls and then reboots the machine.
4) Suspected that I might have a virus issue. Was not able to run AdAware in regular mode on PC (stopped / locked up about 1/2 way through). Had to reboot in Safe Mode to run a full scan. Was able to detect and delete "Win32 Trojan Installer Agent" when in Safe Mode.
5) Ran Avast!, SpywareBlaster, A2Free, and Spybot. No other issues detected.
6) Installed a new new programs to check for issues. Malwarebytes AntiMalware, ThreatFire, Advanced System Care, Glary Utilities, WinPatrol all installed, ran and no other issues detected.
Nothings seems to work. Not sure if this is still a virus that I am not able to detect. At this point, I am out of options after spending the past 4 days on this issue off and on.
Listed below is the HJT Logfile I just ran. Not sure if you need this, but figured it can not hurt.
I appreciate any help and advise you can provide.
Thanks in advance for you help!
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:43:04 PM, on 11/29/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
HJT_for_batkamba.txt
EDITED by Doug to present HJT Log as Attached file.