This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trashed Toshiba?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
My brother-in-law has given me a Toshiba laptop that had been given to him. He said he couldn't get to do anything at all.
I turned it on and about 30 minutes later, Windows XP logo came up. When it came up it read that DEFENDER Pro AV had blocked"ROOTKIT. AGENT V6 and something about "C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\2csf2afd.sys. Another 30 minutes or so and I got onto the internet. I wanted to check the status of the Microsoft updates but was unable to complete the check. It just kept spinning that d*** hourglass. I tried a couple of sites, but could never connect. I logged off to come back later. When I logged off, it said there were 18 upgrades available and it began to download them . An hour and a half later the computer shut down. When I came back and tried again I got a long script that read "For Realtek RTL 8139(X) /8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V2.13(020326)." Then I got a repetitive message"Client MAC ADDR: 00 02 3F DC B0 09 GUID: AEB62AE9-11D9-9DCF-00023FD6B009
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Received"
. Attempts at loading in normal, safe mode, lastknown good config. All attempts lead back to the same repetitive message as above. I've also gotten "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system\ntoskrnl.exe. I'm trying to reach my b-i-l to see if he has the XP disc, just in case.
I have OTL and Malwarebytes on flash pen but could not get it running long enough to down load.
Sorry for the long intro, but I figured the more I could give you the more you had to work with and tell me if I should just trash the thing.

BTW, there is no rush on this thing so if others are in more dire straits, I understand.

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. Failure to do so we will have your thread closed in THREE(3) days. :)


Hello there, Bob Joyce

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to. Remember to backup all your important data(if possible) before moving on.
Hello there,

I will see what I can do there.

Download these tools from a clean computer and transfer it to the Toshiba laptop.

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr
    • DDS.com
    • DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
===================================================

[external image: Posted Image]
  • Please download GMER from one of the following locations, and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zip Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop (applicable only to Zip mirror) .
  • Double click [external image: Posted Image] or [external image: Posted Image] on your desktop.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
    [external image: Posted Image]

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


===================================================

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
===================================================

On your next reply please post :
DDS log
GMER log
Checkup log

Let me know if you have any problems in performing with the steps above or any questions you may have.

Good Day!
Thank you, Conspire. I have downloaded the three programs to the pen. However, I cannot get past the repetitive message (shown above) to down load the programs to the computer. When I first started it up, I got the Toshiba logo and a flashing cursor in the upper corner. It then gave a "Disk Read Error Occurred Ctrl +Alt+Del to restart". That is when I got the same message and "No boot filename received." This may be worse than I had feared. Any ideas before I find the nearest trash can?
Hi, Conspire. This just in. Last attempt to get this running came up with this: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYST You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. My wife has XP and Vista install disks received when she purchased her desktop for school. Since she intends to use this for school, is there any harm or foul in using one of those on this beast? Should there be a preference between XP or Vista? Thanks, again!
Hi Bob, I'm afraid that this might very well be a hardware failure and I think if you try to reinstall will give you the same result. No harm trying though, but bear in mind that this laptop is OEM and it will not work if you wife happen to have XP volume or retail version. Look for the one that came with this laptop.
Oh, well…Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Guess I'll check out new hardrives! Thanks again for your help. Sorry to have taken your valuable time on this.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI