This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Should I use pop-up blockers

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I installed a FREE version of Panicware's POP-UP STOPPER three yrs ago. I believe it does a fairly good job of preventing that annoying collection of ads coming up on my screen. However I can not update the program. When I try a screen instructs me to re-install the program and I no longer have it. My question: do I need a pop-up blocker these days? I know that ISP's have software preventing pop-ups and my antivirus program (AVG) or Firewall program (Comodo) may block these as well.

I installed a FREE version of Panicware's POP-UP STOPPER three yrs ago. I believe it does a fairly good job of preventing that annoying collection of ads coming up on my screen. However I can not update the program. When I try a screen instructs me to re-install the program and I no longer have it. My question: do I need a pop-up blocker these days? I know that ISP's have software preventing pop-ups and my antivirus program (AVG) or Firewall program (Comodo) may block these as well.


Hi dconant1,

What browser do you use? If it is IE go to tools and scroll down to pop up blocker and set it to your liking.

I would not recommend separate pop up blocker software even although it is free.

Suggest you go to start>settings>control panel>add and remove and scroll down to see if "Panicware's POP-UP STOPPER" is still there. If it is, then decide whether you want to keep it or uninstall. There is an option within the software to enable autoupdates. Have you got that enabled? If you have it should update automatically.

It is only a small program and although I would not use it as it is not needed, there is no harm in having it installed on your system.
Here is the site if you need it again to install.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI