I apologize beforehand if this seems like a stupid question. I dropped XP to go to Vista for various reasons (I really wished I hadn't). Anyways, for other reasons I have to go back to XP. One of the reasons I left XP is because my server is not listed in services in administrative tools. Command prompt: Net share or net start server simply returns a service name is invalid message. I use my xbox to stream music, movies, etc. Since the server service is not working, I am unable to share and now my XBOX is pretty much a big paper weight. I have looked tirelessly for a solution with no success. I figured since I read these forums all the time I might as well ask for some help. Anyone know how I can reinstall server service to allow sharing? Again, it is not listed in services and I have not been able to add it to allow sharing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi MISAE, welcome.
Since you will have to install XP from scratch, the server problem may resolve itself. I would say try it, then if you have a problem post back in this thread and we can work on it.
Hi Ztrucker,
Sorry…allow me to clarify. I had both XP and Vista running. So I do not want to reinstall XP if I can avoid it. Just wnt to add server to the list in services…set to automatic and started.
Any ideas?
Now that you mention that…I see browser and workstation are also not listed in services.msc. AHHHHH!!!!
I need one to start the other but none are listed!!!
Do you know if sfc /scannow or XP repair from disc would resolve issue?
Thanks anyways…really appreciate it
I doubt very much if SFC will do anything for you but a Repair Install certainly should.
Even though a Repair Install leaves your data intact, I would recommend backing up your data before doing it. Also cleanup your system. CCleaner is a great program for getting rid of the accumulated junk.
If you decide to do a repair install, once completed, install ERUNT which does a very good job of backing up the registry (keeps 30 days worth) and makes it easy to restore if needed.