This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot Browse Workgroup or Find Connected PCs

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a compaq presario running windows xp home. I can ping the other computer but i cannot see the workgroup. I have installed microsoft network client and uninstalled Mcafee with the removal tool. I think the problem is linked with some services in service.msc not starting such as the workstation service (error 2250). I do not have my xp disk, so i would prefer solutions not needing it. any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance thank you!!!!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841570

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer in Safe mode.

2. Use System File Checker with the /scannow parameter to immediately scan and verify the versions of all the system files that Windows File Protection helps protect. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. You can run the sfc /scannow command to use System File Checker.

3. If you get information about the corrupted Mup.sys file, expand the Mup.sys file from the Windows XP CD to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder. For example, if the CD drive is D, type the following at a command prompt:
expand d:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers

4. Expand the Mup.sys file from the Windows XP CD to the C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache folder.
For example, if the CD drive is D, type the following at a command prompt:
expand d:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\dllcache


I hope 3 and 4 do not apply to you as you do not have the XP CD.
Before resorting to assuming that mup is corrupt try:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html

Failing that, I suggest downloading, the now available, release candidate of SP3. It is available after you apply a registry hack described here:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/23/do…-registry-hack/

I noticed that mup.sys is updated when I applied this SP.

Good luck!
You will never believe this….my good man, Billy. I liked the idea of downloading the SP3, not that it worked, but i liked the idea of beeing able to brag about having something that microsoft hadnt released yet! Anyway, I checked the event log to find out what kept workstation from starting. I discovered that they were 2 missing files, rdbss and mrxsmb. I guessed they were system drivers and located them with my great tracking skill, without the help of the no good find/search utility (not to brag) in the c drive of my other computer. I copied them and manually started the workstation. Wallah!!! Everything is fine again and happily ever after!

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks and hope my solution could be of use to you later on.
No need for the no good xp cd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again and to volunteers and experts like you!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
kewl that it issue is a dead fish now! bummer that the sp3 thing didn't work out for you. did you reboot after running the command file? i've updated a couple of boxes now. you really aren't missing much, but i thought it might help.
Microsoft's XP SP3 has been "in beta testing" for a while now.
Being "beta" means that it is "almost ready" for release, but still may be "buggie".
If you were an MS beta-tester, you would have all the available support and problem solving backup necessary to attempt to experiment with SP3. (Support and fixes if something goes wrong with an installation of SP3)

Without the "beta-tester" support, trying to launch SP3 can be fraught with difficulty, even though some folks have been successful in "getting the jump" on Microsoft with the "hack" linked above.

I don't support "hacking" Microsoft, especially to get a product that is still buggie.
Essentially, the "hack" attempts to fool Microsoft into believing that you've been a beta-tester and therefore eligible for the SP3 download…. but without the problem-solving backup.

Not a good idea, and not supported by WTT Forums.

As always, what you do with your own machine is your own business.
But PLEASE, do not promote this "hack" to our Membership or to the general computer using public!
_____________

Solomon I'm glad you got your situation sorted out. :)
You will find that you "already" had all the necessary files available on your machine in your /i386 Folder and dllcache and saved updates, where MS keeps the original files and drivers for System File Checker to compare and copy in case of missing or corrupt System Files.
Here's a link to a respected source for using the /i386 Folder when an XP installatin CD may not be available:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Use of SFC, and correctly configuring your local Network will solve the problem you describe…. Without venturing into the still unreliable waters of SP3.

Be safe.

Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI