Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows media player network sharing service - Missing from services -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Skandranon

Skandranon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

Windows media player network sharing service - Missing from services - preventing sharing with ps3 When I set windows media player 11 to share my media I get the following error: "Media sharing has been turned off because a required windows setting or component has changed." I have been searching and searching for a solution to this problem. I am trying to share my media with my ps3. I am running windows xp pro 64 bit. I found two possable solutions to the problem. One was deleting config files for windows media player.. did not work. The other said to make sure the following 3 services were turned on: SSDP Discovery Service Universal Plug and PLay Device Host Windows media player network sharing service The last one however is not in the list. I can not find a way to find it let alone turn it on. After much research this seems to be the only way to get windows media player 11 to shared media is turn on this service. Please help :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Skandranon

Skandranon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Any ideas at all please?

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Give the fix listed here a try: http://benhollis.net...nt-has-changed/

Read all of the thread. XP is covered. Also describes what you need to do to enable hidden files and folders if you've not already done so.

Edited by Ztruker, 18 February 2010 - 08:33 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 Skandranon

Skandranon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Give the fix listed here a try: http://benhollis.net...nt-has-changed/

Thanks for the reply!

But I tried that fix already, mentioned this in my post. (Not giving ya lip, merely mentioning it as I didnt just post without trying to find out how to fix it on my own - I did much research first can found nothing)

The problem is definitely that "windows media player network service" is not running. However it is not in services.msc or anywhere else you can find services.

Its not turned off, its just not there. No idea why and I cannt find anyone on the whole net with the same problem that posted how they fixed it. Some people had luck with turning on the other services to get it that one to show up, but mine are on and were on, so no luck there.

Edited by Skandranon, 18 February 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

Sorry, wasn't sure if that was the one you had already followed or not.

Did you see this one: http://channel9.msdn...ommentID=376320

1) Turn off Xbox
2) delete everything in \users\MyAccount\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player <- need XP path as this was Vista. I believe it's C:\Documents and Settings\YourAccount\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player)
3) delete the folder \users\MCx1 <- not sure where or if this exists under XP. I don't see it on my XP Pro SP3 (32bit system)
4) Reboot PC
5) Go to /Program Files/Windows Media Player
6) Run wmpnetwk.exe
7) Run wmpnscfg.exe
8) Run wmpshare.exe
9) Reboot PC
10) Start XBOX
11) On the XBOX Go to Settings-->Games And Delete the Media Center item

Rich

#6 Skandranon

Skandranon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

No worries! I need all the help I can get, keep coming up with ideas no matter how out there and I will keep trying them till something works :) No I didnt see that post.. Got excited for a min. Started off by using find and deleting anything related to WMP in documents and settings.. Then followed all the dir making changes for ps3 / windows xp 64 bit as needed... Thought for sure that the setup files from WMP folder would fix the problem, but alas it did not. Same issue, same error... Still missing the service. :( I really think this is yet another 64 bit problem.. After all these years I would think 64 would be far more mainstream and far far less bugy by now. But Every pc I have with 64 bit windows has weird problems that the 32 bit pcs never do. This is really annoying though, as I am useing WINDOWS media player on a windows system, it should just freaking work! D&#n M$!

Edited by Skandranon, 18 February 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

It should work and probably does for most people. I've not seen a lot of problem posts for what you are seeing. That may be because there are not that may people using XP 64 bit and also trying to share media. I'll see if I can get some of the other techs here to drop in if they have any ideas how to help.

Rich

#8 Skandranon

Skandranon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thank you. Any help is good :-)