This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New monitor, really bad bleed.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all. I just bought a new 22" Samsung SyncMaster 220WM LCD monitor. I bought it for $200 at best buy on black friday :P Anyway I turned it on and the first thing I notice…. It is significantly brighter at the bottom of the screen than the top. It is a pretty gradual gradation from bottom to the top but does seem to fall off a little steeper from bottom to middle. Is this normal? I knew there was some bleed on larger monitors but to effect the whole screen??? I'm considering taking it back.

Hi all. I just bought a new 22" Samsung SyncMaster 220WM LCD monitor. I bought it for $200 at best buy on black friday :P Anyway I turned it on and the first thing I notice…. It is significantly brighter at the bottom of the screen than the top. It is a pretty gradual gradation from bottom to the top but does seem to fall off a little steeper from bottom to middle. Is this normal? I knew there was some bleed on larger monitors but to effect the whole screen??? I'm considering taking it back.


Hi unklejman',

I think you answered you own question, take the monitor back without touching a thing. Ask the salesman to test it in front of you and see if the same thing happens at the IT shop.

Has it got a guarantee with it……………I do hope so for your own sake.

Post back and let us know how you get on.

kind regards,
Best Buy should not give you any problems, assuming you bought a new one and not one off the clearance shelf. I agree too with tallin's comment - don't touch a thing, just take it back.
I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal for there to be this much backlight bleed at the bottom. Am I going to have to fork out a considerable amount of more money to get a uniform brightness? Or is this just a fluke? If I have a 50% grey solid filling the screen it kind looks something like this: 📎lcdgradient.jpg
No it is not normal and no you should not have to spend more money - that is a good monitor so I think it is just a fluke. And that assumes you have the brightness and contrast set properly.
I've messed with brightness and contrast all day long and no matter what it has the same effect. I'll take it back tomorrow and see what they say.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI