I use two monitors.
One recently died.
I replaced the dead one.
New Monitor is Hyundai TFT LCD Monitor
Old, but still functional, is ViewSonic VA 1912wb.
I had previously considered the ViewSonic to be "bright" in subjective comparison to the now dead monitor, and in contrast to an older substitute LCD that I used until I got this new Hyundai
I fired up the Hyundai as screen #2, set to "extend" desktop
At default settings Hyundai was so bright that it seems like looking into headlights
Old but still functional View Sonic is already cranked up to 100% Brightness and Contrast, but now looks like dishwater, compared to the bright and clear white of the Hyundai.
I reduced the Hyundai to 50% Brightness and it is still dazzlingly bright, but pleasing.
ViewSonic is set to Screen Resolution 1152 x 846
Hyundai is set to Default Screen Resolution 1600x1050
Question:
Any harm in having the Brightness setting cranked "down" to 50% on the Hyundai?
Thanks
Hi Doug. There isn't any problem in cranking the brightness down that I know of. The bulb is dimmed by using pulse width modulation. In other words, the light "flickers" on and off at a high-rate of speed while adjusting the ratio of the on-time to the off-time to control brightness. As much as this feature is used I can't imagine it is detrimental to the life of the bulb or inverter board. However, I have heard monitors that "screech" when they are not set to 100% because of the PWM oscillations that are audible on particular models.
Anyways, I would say it is ok to set it like that.
The other monitor looks like dishwater compared to the new monitor because the bulb is starting to go. Just like any flourescent bulb, they will start to dim and yellow over time.
The bulb is dimmed by using pulse width modulation. In other words, the light "flickers" on and off at a high-rate of speed while adjusting the ratio of the on-time to the off-time to control brightness.
Yes.
I got a first-hand taste of that principle when experimenting with the "old but still functional" ViewSonic.
As I mentioned before, it is cranked all the way up to 100% and still looks like dishwater.
Droping it down even 1 or 2 points causes the screen to appear line the "vertical roll" phenomenon of old tube-type TVs.
I'm afraid it is on its very last legs too.
But I'll definitely enjoy having a new replacement when possible…. especially if the replacement is as good as this Hyundai.
(on sale at TigerDirect $139.00 about a month ago)
I wouldn't mind getting another ViewSonic or even an HP, and it doesn't matter if it's from TigerDirect or newegg or amazon, as long as it's down in the lower $100 plus amount.)
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI