This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

LCD 22" recommendations?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi folks,

one of my two screens just died.

I'm looking economy to replace it.

This is what I've come up with so far.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se…mp;sku=H94-2204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824005132

I'm a little skeptical of buying a Monitor online, due to the possible dead-pixel possibility.
So I think I'll be checking our local Walmart as well.

Probably need to make purchase today/tonight.

Thanks for any recommendations
Of those two the LG @ Newegg would be my choice. Good deal too. However if you cannot wait for shipping perhaps buying locally is a good idea. Do you have any outlets besides Walmart? What happened to the old screen? Are your sure it is not just the transformer?
Here's my system:
http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scanner/app/…82d6df9288c0879

I'm not sure at all.
I previously had two screens both ViewSonic

Symptoms:

Came back to keyboard and noticed that the right-hand monitor was black.
The green led "on" indicator was still lit.
I pressed it to turn-off and turn back on. No Joy
Checked display properties… everything looked fine.
Checked Device manager - showed Default Monitor and ViewSonic Monitor (Don't know if it previously showed two ViewSonics)

Rebooted and voila, 2nd screen was lit up again.
It went blank/black after several minutes.
Pressing on/off button caused the screen to momentarily flicker on but not full brightness and then back to blank/black.
Green "on" led remained, but no illumination of screen

Rebooting has not caused restore of screen after that one favorable event.

I was using the machine pretty heavy.
Several windows open on both screens, as is my common practice.

I "will" be purchasing an economy replacement screen.
This setup is for work I do for a small company.

"If" the old screen can be repaired, I'd be delighted.
It was actually robbed from a bin of parts that I've been meaning to assemble as a new machine for myself (not business).
If I can get it running again, I won't have to buy a screen for the soon-to-be-assembled machine.

Thanks for your reply.
As to testing if the monitor is the problem I can offer what I would try: Check all cables by removing and reconnecting. If the same issue persists alternate the connection on the graphics card i.e. move the ports which should test the graphics card. If the same persists and both monitors are identical exchange the transformers i.e. put T_1 on M_2 & T_2 on M_1 (only if identical) which should test the transformers. Also note that Newegg often has great deals on monitors but at the moment the one you list is the best I see. If I get a promo e-mail re: monitors I will pass it on. I usually receive these at least once a week.
The two monitors are not "identical" The remaining good one is ViewSonic 1912w Series (19 inch diagonal "wide" aspect configuration) The one that "died" is ViewSonic 912b (19 inch diagonal "square" aspect configuration) ______________________- What do you think about the "dead pixels" issue. I've read that Monitor manufacturers allow up to 5 dead or 5 bright pixels per screen and allow that condition to be "OK" for a new Monitor. OK meaning within acceptable tolerance and not eligible for warranty replacement. _________________ On the remaining "good" View Sonic I have "always" had one bright pixel. I always notice it. It always annoys me when I notice it. There is nothing to be done about it. Oh, well…. But I'd go nuts if there were 4 or 5 bright pixels showing on my DeskTop. And I'd want to return it on Warranty, but probably would not be allowed to do so. Thoughts?
As to the tests suggested I would still be curious in order to determine that the monitor is at fault. As to "identical" my meaning was that the transformers must be at the same voltage if you try to interchange them. All my LCD's are at 19 Volts but some run as low as 12V. There should be a label on the transformer indicating voltage if they are not variable. That being said if you have a green light there is probably nothing wrong with the transformer. Pixel failure also bothers me but on my personal monitors I have never had the issue. Granted these are not inexpensive monitors so I am not really aware on more economic models but I would not put up with dead pixels on my personal machines. Anyway I will do some looking for more options and hopefully others will have ideas. I have one ViewSonic that is fantastic and I've loved it for 2.5 years now yet again it was a $1,200 monitor (24" wide screen). I suppose if there is a point there (and it is not bragging) but the old adage of 'you get what you pay for'.
don't know if this will help diagnostically, but I hooked up the "dead" monitor to an old P3 running Win2K and fired it up. The "no signal" blue square warning flashed momentarily, And then as each new feature of the Boot sequence fired off, a flash of the expected display would appear briefly and then die back to black. So I saw the BIOS announcement, the RAM count, another "no signal" and the first presentation of MS Windows 2000. Now mind you, these flashes are all only a blink of a fraction of a second, but fully recognizable. The screen displays competently, but cannot hold the display. And though I do not understand the principle… there is no benefit from holding a bright flashlight up to the screen. There is simply no display after the blink. Pressing the "restart" button competently initiates the sequence again, complete with blinks but no sustained display.
Cheap cheap low end of the range: AOC, Chimei, ViewSonic, CMV Most of those come out of the same factory… same panels. As they are cheap, the manufacturer couldn't care less about dead/stuck/bright pixels. Whenever we see a failing monitor come through work, it's 80% one of these brands. I believe LG has a good dead/stuck/bright pixel warranty, though you'll have to do some research.
I was going to suggest the following which has a better refresh rate:-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…82E16824001273R
But then I saw you comment about cheap, but considering the price is very close to the more expensive one you have looked at you may still want to consider it, my rule of thumb for this is brightness, go for the brightest one you can afford, this means that in it's later years when it starts to dim you can keep it going that much longer by having more brightness to to keep turning up you can put off replacing for longer, just a thought.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI