This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Updates, Security Updates & Defender

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've used the MS Windows Tech help, but their suggestions so far have not resolved the problem. Frustrated, I gave up. I have not been able to update my Windows Security or Defender for MONTHS. This has left my computer at great risk, and I'm presently trying to resolve a Vundo problem (via the forum for HJT), which I feel is probably connected to the fact that my computer is vulnerable without the updates. What steps can I take to try to get to the root of the problem? Thanks, Kim
You really need to wait until they finish with your HJT log. Any changes we might make here will change the log values and may cause confusion for those folks. Likewise, changes they suggest may cause confusion for us here. I suggest you make sure the post with your log also includes your update problems so they know that is an issue too.
I did briefly mention that I've had an ongoing issue with my windows security & defender updates. I just tried again today (to run updates) – and it still doesn't work. I'm missing 16 updates, so it really worries me. :( Thanks for your input.. ~Kim PS: Like your "freedom isn't free"…. I'm a soldier's wife. :)
I am not a tech, but I encountered this problem with my own Microsoft Updates. In my case, the Tea Timer and SD Helper programs under 'Settings' 'Resident' in my Spybot Search and Destroy were for some reason blocking the updates. I temporarily turned them off, hit the Microsoft update site, got all my updates (since June) and then turned those programs back on and everything has been working fine since. I would not recommend doing this unless one of the experts here say to do so though. May God bless you and your husband.
I personally don't like TeaTimer or SDHelper so I don't install or use them - although I do supplemental spyware scanning with SB S&D. If they are your only "real-time" (AKA in-resident, in-memory, active scanning, et al) anti-spyware tools, then don't discontinue using without a replacement. However, it would be safe to disable them temporarily while doing updates. That said, again, it may be best to wait until your HJT log is analyzed before doing much. If you do decide to proceed, I would recommend you post a fresh log when done and explain why, so the analyst sunderstand what is happening.

I am not a tech, but I encountered this problem with my own Microsoft Updates. In my case, the Tea Timer and SD Helper programs under 'Settings' 'Resident' in my Spybot Search and Destroy were for some reason blocking the updates. I temporarily turned them off, hit the Microsoft update site, got all my updates (since June) and then turned those programs back on and everything has been working fine since. I would not recommend doing this unless one of the experts here say to do so though. May God bless you and your husband.


Hmmmm… I used to have SpyBot loaded, but uninstalled it. Perhaps when I uninstalled it, I took with it the chance to fix my problem with windows updates! OOoooops!!!!!

I had an issue with Stopzilla conflicting with Windows defender, and once I uninstalled it, was still not able to get Defender to load updates anymore – so I've suspected Stopzilla was the root of my problems.

Thank you for your kind words… we've been doing this for more than 20 years, and even with the toughest of times, have enjoyed every minute of it. The military has given us more than we've given to it – it's been an adventure!

~Kim (Ft. Drum)

I personally don't like TeaTimer or SDHelper so I don't install or use them - although I do supplemental spyware scanning with SB S&D. If they are your only "real-time" (AKA in-resident, in-memory, active scanning, et al) anti-spyware tools, then don't discontinue using without a replacement. However, it would be safe to disable them temporarily while doing updates. That said, again, it may be best to wait until your HJT log is analyzed before doing much. If you do decide to proceed, I would recommend you post a fresh log when done and explain why, so the analyst sunderstand what is happening.



Will do, Digerati. I'm close to having my other issues resolved now (thanks to Silver)… and will tackle the Windows problems next!

~Kim :)
O.k.. not only did Silver repair my virus/trojan/malware issues… but now I have resolved my Windows Updates Installation problems too! I will post the info on a separate thread, though, so it will be easier for folks to read through, should they have the same issues I did with their installations. ~Kim

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI