Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Security Auto Update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hello, I worked with LDTate the past several days in getting rid of Trojans on two of my home computers and everything was running fine. Yesterday my Windows Security screen had all green dots and said ON. Today I noticed that my Windows Security Automatic Update is turned off and I cannot get it to turn on. When I click in it, it tells me I can't change these settings myself. When I go in another way to change it, it will not allow me to. Also, today I tried to check for updates for AVG Anti-Virus and get a message that the update process could not be finished due to insufficient free disk space or insufficient user rights. I'm doing an edit here to add that I now notice that when I click Start and Programs that all but 5 of my programs are gone...and I had a ton. I know the actual programs are still there, but the list has disappeared. I'm perplexed! I'm running Windows XP. Please let me know if you need any additional informaton and if you can help me. Thank You!

Edited by Kilty, 01 January 2008 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi Kitty,

Try the following and post back if you need more help. SFC does not give you a report but will install any missing files from your OS if need be.

kind regards,

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

#3 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hey Tallin! Thanks for responding! Unfortunately for me, I do not have XP disks, it was loaded on my computer when I bought it and I have the Recovery Disks that came with my computer but not specifically XP. How do I get around this? Thanks again for any assistance you can provide.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi Again Kitty,

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point.

System Restore Point facility

Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.
Note 1 using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2 It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.

Post back Kitty if you need more help.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 02 January 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#5 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hi Tallin, What, no friends? What are you trying to say here. Just kidding. I'll ask around. Believe it or not, most of my friends have MACs. I'm seriously considering going that way myself...tho working with Windows during the day at work and MACing at home in the evenings has we wondering if I'll be able to be bilingual at my age. :) I'll check around and post back with my findings. Thanks again!! Happy New Year to you too!! Kilty

#6 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Kitty,

Are you the Administrator on this computer that we are talking about here?

Here are a couple of good reading sites that may help with your WU.

http://www.castlecop...wly_Edited.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Try this for your Windows Updates and see how you go also.

Step 1:
Verify that your computer's date and time are accurate and that Internet Explorer language option is not empty.
To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:
1. Click "Tools" and then choose "Internet Options"
2. Click the lanuage button
3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog.

When checking your date (including the year) and time, also check the Internet Time and Time Zone. Double click on the date/time in the notification/system tray area (near the clock) select Internet Time Tab and then select update now. If it's not already checked, check automatically synchronize with an internet Time Server - WinXP.

Step 2:
Also check these settings:
1. Tools>Internet Options> Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
4. Uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation".

Step 3:
Also delete Temporary Internet Files
1. Tools>Internet Options >General
2. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, Clck OK

Step 4:
1. Tools> Internet Options > Security
Click Trusted sites, click Default level.
Click the sites button and clear the checkbox "Require server verification"
(http:) for all sites in this zone."
Now add the following:
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If required, reboot and try Windows Update again. If still no success, have a look at the following links for more clues.

Further information:

You have not mentioned error code notifications, but this information is valuable just the same if you ever were to bump into these problems.

Error 0x800A138F
http://www3.telus.ne.../0x800a138f.htm

The aim here is to help you solve this 0x800A138F problem and have you updating your Windows XP Professional or Home Edition computer as soon as possible.
http://updatexp.com/0x800A138F

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
http://www.petri.co....ms_800a138f.htm
0x800A138F

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like
Nortons,
Zonealarm etc
Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the backgound such as
Net Zero
HiSpeed
Speedband etc

Clear out your temporary internet cache

Try a reboot and then try WU again.

Are there any specific error codes that you do see?
At what point does it continue when checking for the latest software, or when checking for updates?

Still no joy, then try Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click START, Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc. " (without the quotes)
Click OK
Right click the Automatic Updates service,
Click stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder :
a. Click Start, click Run, type "%systemroot%" (without the quotes" and then click OK.
b. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click START
Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc." without the quotes"
Click OK
Right -click the Automatic Updates service
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Reboot if appropriate and try WU again.

Note when you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder - you will loose your history but not important.

Your Windows Update problem is exactly the same as I was having sometime ago and by going through the above (supplied from a Microsoft Newsgroup exchange) you should correct your problem and allow you to download and install WU's again.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to post back if you have a further question.

#7 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Tallin, This is a LOT of information. I'll print it out and digest. Tomorrow morning I'll begin my quest asking friends and neighbors about their XP CDs, and working on getting this issue resolved. Thank you for taking the time to get all of this down. I'm glad to hear that it resolved the issue for you! That has inspired hope. :) Have a great night!

#8 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

I uninstalled my AVG and installed AVG Malware and it is scanning now. I was able to do the update to the software...so this is a start. I went to the Castlecops site and did what it recommended, but still cannot update windows. So i followed on with the support microsoft.com info. I'm to the point where it recommends I download the windows agent but I don't know which one to do. How do I find out if my windows is x86 based, x64 based or Itanium based? Thanks for any help you can provide! Kilty Tallin...I'm editing here. I don't know what I've done...I downloaded the new Spybot Search and Destroy and ran it along with AdAdware...one of them found two registry changes and fixed. However, when I restarted my computer, it gets me to the login screen but when I type in my password, it just stalls. I'm lost as to what to do. If I use my system restore CDs will I loose all software downloaded, or installed previously...but what about all the files? Thanks for any advice you can provide. Kilty P.S. I'm typing from my other computer. Also, the gas grill is on the fritz, think the two could be related? :)

Edited by Kilty, 06 January 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hi Kitty,

I am not understanding your reason for the quote below from your last post. Why would you that?

I uninstalled my AVG and installed AVG Malware and it is scanning now. I was able to do the update to the software...so this is a start.

Did you follow the quoted information in my last post to you re your Windows updates from step on onwards?

From your last post this quote I do not understand at all.

Also, the gas grill is on the fritz, think the two could be related?

Before changing anything now I suggest you consider posting a HJT LOG from the following site.

http://forums.whatth...ers_t34502.html

kind regards,

#10 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

Tallin, Sorry for the part about the gas grill, I was just trying to make light of a terrible situation. Just sort of a joke on my part, tho our gas grill is on the fritz...I know it has nothing to do with the computer. Anyway, I'm just one of those kind of people that trys to get things to work. Since I was in a holding pattern on figuring out what type of Microsoft Update Agent I had in order to download from the site you recommended....I figured I'd try to get my AVG working by removing it and reinstalling. I did resolve that issue, however that does not not take care of my windows update problem. Unfortunately I'm not able to run you a Hijack report because I can't get on the computer that I'm writing you about. The log in screen comes up with my login name and when I type the password, it just hangsup. Sorry for the major issues, If you think I'd be better off working with another tech site, please just let me know. V/R, Kilty

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hi Kitty,

I am sorry you have found yourself with such problems with the computer you are unable to work on.

We are very happy to help you, but if you cannot get the computer past the log in screen I would frankly take it to the nearest IT shop for help.

Another volunteer may come past and be able to get you going, but if it was my computer I would be off to the closest IT who would have all the tools to get your computer up and running for you.

kind regards,

Edit

Kitty hang in there as I have posted on a private forum for someone more experienced than I to check in and give you help here when possible.

Edited by tallin, 06 January 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#12 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

Hi Kilty, I'm researching for possible safe solutions to your present situation. It's very late/early morning for me at this point, so I will probably be able to get back to you in the mid-day tomorrow. (monday 01/07/08 for me) A couple of comments at this point: Please do not be installing/uninstalling any utilities at this time. (I realize that you may think that instruction is absurd since you can't login at this point. But please don't be making any major changes at this time, until we get the login situation resolved) Question: have you received any Error or Stop Warnings? If so, please post the exact full text of any Error Codes. Question: Are you able to boot into SAFE Mode? I'll get back to you later today. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#13 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

Hi Kilty,

What happens at this point?

Unfortunately I'm not able to run you a Hijack report because I can't get on the computer that I'm writing you about. The log in screen comes up with my login name and when I type the password, it just hangsup.

For instance...
Does the machine Re-boot, thereby effectively creating an infinite loop while trying to log on?
Does the machine display an Error or Stop message or a "Blue Screen of Death" error page?
Does the machine simply do nothing.... continuing to display the Welcome Screen with the username you select but does nothing else?

If you are receiving an Error Code, please post that complete and specific information here.

Are you able to boot into SAFE Mode ? (Reboot and immediately begin tapping F8 key continuously until you are presented with a Master Boot Menu. From that menu, Select - SAFE Mode.

Let us know about your progress.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#14 Kilty

Kilty

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hello All, I hired a tech guy to come out to the house...he found the problem. Virus laden machines. Both computers had Bifrost which is a backdoor program that steals passwords via keylogging and also permits remote access to the machines. He used several programs to look for viruses and initially told me that he thought I was paranoid. dayam, and I paid for that! Then he used a program called Counterspy and that found them. Had him eating his words!!! As I have now found out... the bad computer that had Trojen.Fake Alert/ Dimpy.Win32VBsy (another Backdoor) as well as BiFrost, had done a file transfer of all my files to my daughters computer, since it's attempt at using the phone line on my computer was rejected, because it doesn't have a connection to one. Someone did an anonomous logon to my dauthers computer and I think swiped all of my personal info..tons of file cabinets built. So I spent yesterday calling the banks and financial institutions, changing all passwords and alerting the credit bureaus to to watch out for possible requests for credit in our names. I plan on using my system restore disks on both computers. I was wondering if you all think the files in my external hard drive would be ok? .jpgs, .xls, .ppts? Thank You!

#15 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hi Kitty,

I am glad you found a tech to come to your home as your problem was surely a hands on problem.

Did the tech clear your system restore points as they would also be infected so for goodness sake do no use them.

You need to create a new Clean restore point.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

Scan your external HD with your Antispyware and Antivirus program and you will soon know if it was/is also infected. The visiting tech should have thought to cover this item for you in my opinion.

Post back if you need more help.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 09 January 2008 - 03:46 PM.