This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft Critical Security Updates keep failing to install

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello…..I am very new to this process so bare with me while I try to explain what is going on with my system. I am currently running on Windows XP service pack 2…..My computer has always ran great until recently. The microsoft sheild came up on the lower right hand side of my screen telling me security updates were currently available for my computer…..however when I try to download/install the updates the process always fails. I recieve an error message stating "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure they cryptographic service is running on this computer". I have made sure the cryptographic is running…….also tried to rename a program called "catroot"….(which failed because it was being used by another user??) The security udates are critical as per Microsoft….I guess without them it leaves your system vunerable to a hijacker taking over your administrative rights… I have never had a problem with any Microsoft updates and my computer always runs great. Also, when I try to go into my local area connections and disable the connection I recieve a warning stating " It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play or it may have been initatied by another user or the system account". I have also never had a problem disabling my connection up until now. This is very frustrating……I have tried numerous things to fix this problem and can not figure it out. Any help on this situation would be greatly appriciated!!! Thank you so much!!
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with Windows Update failing to install the updates,

I suggest you try this:

go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 where you will find detailed instructions on the problem and how to resolve it.

There are as you will see a number of steps that may need to be taken so its usually best to print out the article, research any extra information you may need before starting and then methodically work through the fix.
It is strongly recommended that you do NOT attempt to rename the Catroot FOLDER…see Microsoft's words of wisdom in the above link for further details. (Your cryptographic service should also be set to Automatic)

Before you do any work of this nature you should set up a valid Windows System Restore Point and if I were you I would also make sure that you have an up to date and verified "image" of your hard drive (using an application like Ghost, Acronis or Drive Image etc) so that in a worst case scenario you can at least put your hard drive back to the position it is in now. It is better to be able to restore your system this way even in its present imperfect state rather than not being able to restore it at all!
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI