Good afternoon,
when I try to run windows update the latest security update didn't install. Tried several times and tried using windows help. Tried to download fixit and couldn't install it. What can I do next?
6 min read
Good afternoon,
when I try to run windows update the latest security update didn't install. Tried several times and tried using windows help. Tried to download fixit and couldn't install it. What can I do next?
Have you tried a quick virus/malware scan? It couldn't hurt.
ken545 helped me on this link http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=129391#entry863927 and suggested I go here for update problem
yes ran malwarebyts ran eset scan ran comodo scan
Are you trying to run Windows Update from the Control Panel manually?
What error do you get when you try to run Windows Update?
Install and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT): See here What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Next, run the System File Checker (SFC):
For Vista and Windows 7, open a Elevated Command Prompt.
Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
For XP open a Command Prompt.
Type SFC /scannow and press Enter. See if the Component store problems are fixed. Run 2-3 times if necessary.
good morning,
I ran sfc several times yesterday and this morning.
After the scan it says corrupted files could not be fixed.
Did you run SURT?
Sorry I forgot to post about that
yes I did didn't change anything.
I don't get an error message. What happens is updates download and install. Then reboot is needed. After reboot the updates are applied, then another reboot then preparing to configure then it says failure configuring ant reverrts.
This is the only one that won't install
I also recommend running Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in command prompt if you haven't already.
I don't get an error message. What happens is updates download and install. Then reboot is needed. After reboot the updates are applied, then another reboot then preparing to configure then it says failure configuring ant reverrts.
This is the only one that won't install
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3033929)Installation date: 3/22/2015 10:07 AMInstallation status: FailedError details: Code 80004005Update type: ImportantA security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.I cannot enclose the cbs file. I tried to get it through the link you gave me and nothing happened at command prompt. I found the files but couldn't past it here.
had the exact same issue with KB3033929 on my parents pc running 64bit win 7, in that case it was caused because it was running a dual boot system, win 7 and suse (linux.) and using grub2 as the bootloader.
the fix is to re-install the windows boot loader (and lose the option to boot linux.) then run the updates, after everything is fully updated and this pesky update finally installed, i used a live cd to reinstall grub2 and fix the suse boot problem.
i could probably have added suse to the windows boot loader so the option to boot it was there but because i'm not used to using windows i found it easier to just reinstall the linux boot loader.
![]()
If you dual boot with a Linux OS then read through this long thread: Update KB3033929 fails with error code 80004005
Fix is as Terry states.
if my memory wasn't so bad, i probably could have just changed the partition boot order with fdisk in linux so it booted the windows boot loader first instead of using the windows repair option to fix windows boot loader so the update installed with no problems because i always setup my dual boot systems with grub stored on the linux partition, making that the first boot partition, which leaves everything untouched on the windows side of things including it's boot loader.
anyway i think repairing the bootloader is the place to start to get this update installed because i believe/guess/surmise
it must try and store some data on the boot partition whatever it is and seeing how in my case it is a linux partition can't so fails to install, but when you repair re-install windows bootloader it will make the windows boot loader partition first boot partition so can then store data there and the update then installs correctly.
![]()
I do not dual boot I have enough trouble with one OS
no other ideas then but still might be worth running a repair install to see if that fixes things for you anyway (maybe the malware you had made changes before it was removed that needs repairing) that way you won't lose any of your programs or data, always make a backup first tho just in case.
![]()
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI