This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No Browsers Working But Internet Working

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have IE 6.0 and Opera on my windows 2000 system. My browsers stopped working a few days ago but the internet connection is not the issue. I know my computer recognizes the internet because I can update virus def files and still search for music via P2P program. Also I confirmed with my ISP that it's getting service. And the laptop I'm on now works fine. A few days ago I accessed the startup configuration utility to try to speed up boot time. I did this via start, run, msconfig. I disabled a few items after checking them with processlibrary. However now I cant access msconfig as it tells me it cant find the file "msconfig"(or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you referring to the same machine that you posted here on August 30th?
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Logfile_Norm…660#entry398660

MSCONFIG (System Configuration Utility) is a core process of Windows, and relatively hard to "lose".

People sometimes think they've lost it, because they are making repetative mistakes when typing MSCONFIG.

To access your System Configuration Utility…

Start - Run - (type)msconfig - Enter
__________

If your System Configuration Utility is actually "gone", you can get a copy of the file from any XP installatin CD.
The MSCONFIG.EXE belongs in C:\Windows\System\ on Windows XP
The MSCONFIG.EXE belongs in C:\Windows\System32\ on Windows 2000

Other locations that typically have a fresh copy of msconfig.exe are as follows:
msconfig.exe — C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$
msconfig.exe — C:\Windows\Service PackFiles\i386
msconfig.exe — C:\Windows\system32\dllcache
msconfig.exe — C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
msconfig.exe - 3SE4DAE9.pf — C:\Windows\Prefetch

You can copy/paste from any of those locations, or from a Windows Installation CD.
______________

A more conventional way to determine if msconfig.exe is "gone" would be to run Windows Protected File System File Checker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <– notice the required space before the "/"

Keep us posted with your progress

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI