Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

No Browsers Working But Internet Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brokerb311

brokerb311

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

I have IE 6.0 and Opera on my windows 2000 system. My browsers stopped working a few days ago but the internet connection is not the issue. I know my computer recognizes the internet because I can update virus def files and still search for music via P2P program. Also I confirmed with my ISP that it's getting service. And the laptop I'm on now works fine. A few days ago I accessed the startup configuration utility to try to speed up boot time. I did this via start, run, msconfig. I disabled a few items after checking them with processlibrary. However now I cant access msconfig as it tells me it cant find the file "msconfig"(or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Are you referring to the same machine that you posted here on August 30th?
http://forums.whatth...660#entry398660

MSCONFIG (System Configuration Utility) is a core process of Windows, and relatively hard to "lose".

People sometimes think they've lost it, because they are making repetative mistakes when typing MSCONFIG.

To access your System Configuration Utility...

Start - Run - (type)msconfig - Enter

If your System Configuration Utility is actually "gone", you can get a copy of the file from any XP installatin CD.
The MSCONFIG.EXE belongs in C:\Windows\System\ on Windows XP
The MSCONFIG.EXE belongs in C:\Windows\System32\ on Windows 2000

Other locations that typically have a fresh copy of msconfig.exe are as follows:
msconfig.exe --- C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$
msconfig.exe --- C:\Windows\Service PackFiles\i386
msconfig.exe --- C:\Windows\system32\dllcache
msconfig.exe --- C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
msconfig.exe - 3SE4DAE9.pf --- C:\Windows\Prefetch

You can copy/paste from any of those locations, or from a Windows Installation CD.

A more conventional way to determine if msconfig.exe is "gone" would be to run Windows Protected File System File Checker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <-- notice the required space before the "/"

Keep us posted with your progress

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.