Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help! Browsers won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dfaugh

dfaugh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

I have an older Toshiba laptop running Windows 2000. I was using Firefox one morning, went to doctor and when I came back none on the Browsers installed on it would work( IE6, Netscape, Firefox). Deep Scans w/ 2 antivirus programs found nothing. I've changed firewall settings, and even disabled. check the Registry for things loading at startup, etc. Nothing. When I try to open any of the browsers, theres a period of disk activity, then nothing happens. If I go into Task Manager it shows the process (e.g. firefox.exe), but no activity. No unexpected entries in Task Manager. If I start it in "Safe Mode w/ Networking" Firefox will open, but gives "Page not Found" errors. I can get IE to open if I go to Calculator and go to "Web Help" (But I can't download anything, this was a pre-existing problem, I have not used IE in months), so port 80 is working. I reinstalled Netscape (I still had the Install on this machine) but that changed nothing. I've tried/checked many other things as well that I found here and on other "Help" forums although none were for exactly the same problem. Most probably/obviously I caught a virus, but which one and how do I remove it and fix the problem. TIA for any help anyone can give me.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Most probably/obviously I caught a virus, but which one and how do I remove it and fix the problem.

Hi and welcome to WTT forums, if you think you have malware then its best to go here
http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and follow the instructions carefully.
One tip for you, when you have posted your logs in the correct forums please don't make a "follow up post" until you have received a response.....the malware fighters look first for Zero response topics.....
Good luck and the compliments of the season to you.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate