This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help! Browsers won't start

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an older Toshiba laptop running Windows 2000. I was using Firefox one morning, went to doctor and when I came back none on the Browsers installed on it would work( IE6, Netscape, Firefox). Deep Scans w/ 2 antivirus programs found nothing. I've changed firewall settings, and even disabled. check the Registry for things loading at startup, etc. Nothing. When I try to open any of the browsers, theres a period of disk activity, then nothing happens. If I go into Task Manager it shows the process (e.g. firefox.exe), but no activity. No unexpected entries in Task Manager. If I start it in "Safe Mode w/ Networking" Firefox will open, but gives "Page not Found" errors. I can get IE to open if I go to Calculator and go to "Web Help" (But I can't download anything, this was a pre-existing problem, I have not used IE in months), so port 80 is working. I reinstalled Netscape (I still had the Install on this machine) but that changed nothing. I've tried/checked many other things as well that I found here and on other "Help" forums although none were for exactly the same problem. Most probably/obviously I caught a virus, but which one and how do I remove it and fix the problem. TIA for any help anyone can give me.

Most probably/obviously I caught a virus, but which one and how do I remove it and fix the problem.

Hi and welcome to WTT forums, if you think you have malware then its best to go here
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Are_you_Infected_t106388.html
and follow the instructions carefully.
One tip for you, when you have posted your logs in the correct forums please don't make a "follow up post" until you have received a response…..the malware fighters look first for Zero response topics…..
Good luck and the compliments of the season to you.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI