Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer Stopped after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Last night windows xp automatically updated on my laptop and restarted. Now I cannot get on the internet. I do have a wireless connection, and I can recieve email. It is supposed to be using Internet Explorer. When I run "diagnose connection problems" it tells me it did not detect any problems with my internet connection. I tried shutting Norton off, rebooting, I ran Malwarebytes - still no luck. :pullhair: According to the "set program access and Defaults" on the Start menu, Internet Explorer is set as the default web browser. I don't think any others have ever been downloaded. Please help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hi Rhendrickx, Please post additional information about your machine and operating system. Also post information about Browser Helper Objects/ Browser Tool Bars you may have installed. Particularly, do you have Yahoo browser toolbar installed. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

It is a Dell Vostro 1500 running Windows xp. No yahoo or google or AOL toolbars were installed to the best of my knowledge. I checked through the Add/Remove program windows - there is nothing new in there that I can detect. I know every so often one of those toolbars does get installed but I immediately remove them. What else do you need to know?

Edited by Rhendrickx, 17 December 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

"if" the problem is related to MS Update... there has not yet been a solution published to the best of my knowledge. It would "seem" that rolling back to a Restore Point prior to the Update would restore functionality. then allow all updates "except" those related to Internet Explorer. Let us know how your progress. Also, we will post any new information as it may become available.

#5 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

how do I roll it back to a restre point ? - I uninstalled all the updates that were installed last night (12/16/2010) - rebooted and still no internet?

Edited by Rhendrickx, 17 December 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

This MS article covers the steps quite well.
But don't hesitate to ask questions if necessary.

http://www.microsoft...temrestore.mspx

#7 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

Per your link - I ran the system restore 4 times - choosing earlier dates each time - but I keep getting a "restore incomplete" message. And of course the IE is still not working. I will keep trying earlier dates but any other ideas in the meantime?

#8 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

Update - I shut Norton off and restarted in safe mode - ran system restore in safe more - and that finally worked! Now I have to make sure windows doesn't automatically update again! thanks for you help! - I turned off automatic updates - and will keep checking this site to see if othere are having the same proble, as I noticed your post regarding this issue on the windows forum.