This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Explorer Stopped after Windows Update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Last night windows xp automatically updated on my laptop and restarted. Now I cannot get on the internet. I do have a wireless connection, and I can recieve email. It is supposed to be using Internet Explorer. When I run "diagnose connection problems" it tells me it did not detect any problems with my internet connection. I tried shutting Norton off, rebooting, I ran Malwarebytes - still no luck. :pullhair: According to the "set program access and Defaults" on the Start menu, Internet Explorer is set as the default web browser. I don't think any others have ever been downloaded. Please help!
Hi Rhendrickx, Please post additional information about your machine and operating system. Also post information about Browser Helper Objects/ Browser Tool Bars you may have installed. Particularly, do you have Yahoo browser toolbar installed. Best Regards
It is a Dell Vostro 1500 running Windows xp. No yahoo or google or AOL toolbars were installed to the best of my knowledge. I checked through the Add/Remove program windows - there is nothing new in there that I can detect. I know every so often one of those toolbars does get installed but I immediately remove them. What else do you need to know?
"if" the problem is related to MS Update… there has not yet been a solution published to the best of my knowledge. It would "seem" that rolling back to a Restore Point prior to the Update would restore functionality. then allow all updates "except" those related to Internet Explorer. Let us know how your progress. Also, we will post any new information as it may become available.
how do I roll it back to a restre point ? - I uninstalled all the updates that were installed last night (12/16/2010) - rebooted and still no internet?
Per your link - I ran the system restore 4 times - choosing earlier dates each time - but I keep getting a "restore incomplete" message. And of course the IE is still not working. I will keep trying earlier dates but any other ideas in the meantime?
Update - I shut Norton off and restarted in safe mode - ran system restore in safe more - and that finally worked! Now I have to make sure windows doesn't automatically update again! thanks for you help! - I turned off automatic updates - and will keep checking this site to see if othere are having the same proble, as I noticed your post regarding this issue on the windows forum.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI