This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet not working/Windows services disabled

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I've been having trouble with my laptop recently. The internet isn't working, whenever I open a browser I get "This webpage is not available" and when I tried to system restore I saw that all of my Window's services are disabled. I thought it might be a malware issue so I went to that forum first. However, I finished talking with a helper there and he said it wasn't a virus and that he thought it might be a Window's problem. Here's the link to that thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=125840

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter = Wireless Network Connection (Media disconnected)
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller = Local Area Connection (Media disconnected)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : handymanpc.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-8E-99-3B-01-AC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Yeah, how about you go over to the Control Panel, ask for Network and Internet then they should link you to Network and Sharing Center here you will want to change the adapter settings right click on your local area connection and enable it?
Are there any devices in Device Manager that have a yellow mark next to them, especially any under Network Adapters? As uchkur mentioned, neither of your Realtek network devices are working, Wireless or Ethernet.

First, check to make sure the Wireless is turned on. Many laptops have a switch or a Fn key you press to enable/disable it. If that is okay, try uninstalling the wireless from Device Manager.

Press Windows key + R to open the Run box.
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
Expand Network Adapters, then right click on the Realtek Wireless and select Uninstall.

Reboot and let windows 7 rediscover and reload the driver, see if that helps.

Repeat for the Ethernet adapter.

Additional checking. Boot to Safe Mode with Networking. Does either work there?
Hi, thanks for posting. 1. Okay I tried going to Network and Internet -> Network Connections/ Change Adapter settings and nothing is there. 2. None of the devices under Network adapters are yellow. 3. I tried uninstalling and rebooting for each driver, they both reinstalled fine, but it didn't fix anything. 4. The light on the wireless button on my laptop's keyboard is green, so it's not that. 5. Tried restarting in safemode network, and still nothing works, and nothing shows up under adapter settings. Also, when I open the Network and Sharing Center it says, "The dependency service or group failed to start."
What did you mean by this: and when I tried to system restore I saw that all of my Window's services are disabled.

Click on Start then Run or press Window key (next to left Ctrl key) +R and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu, or just press Windows Key (next to the left Ctrl key) + R.
Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HPUser-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-8E-99-3B-01-AC DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter isatap.{5FDFC98E-595F-4929-8805-328EC5955DC2}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter isatap.handymanpc.local: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.
I don't really know what windows services do, but the reason I mentioned it was that the first odd thing I noticed was that my desktop theme was changed. I then looked that up and something told me to check the servies tab and start the "theme" service, however, when I did this it seemed like a lot of services were disabled and they couldn't be started. I'm not sure if its related to the internet not working, but they happened at the same time. Heres a picture:

Attachments:

I was going to suggest doing a System Restore to a date before this problem started.

That would probably be the quickest and easiest.
Ok, wow. I went through the list and tried to reset all the services to what that website said. It seems it kind of worked. My wireless adapter icon is back on my toolbar and I've connected to my router, but my internet still isn't working. When I try to go to google.com it says "SSL connection error."
If you're using Internet Explorer: At the top go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced tab. Scroll down through the list and make sure that "Use SSL 3.0" is checked. If you're using Firefox: At the top go to Tools / Options / Advanced tab. Click on the tab in the lower portion that says Encryption. Make sure "Use SSL 3.0" is selected. If you're using Google Chrome: Uninstall and reinstall the newest version.
You said you tried to set the services to default, did you have problems with any of them? If you did have a problem was it just a matter of not being able to start them?

There are several services that need to be started in a specific order. If you were able to set the service startup type (ie manual, automatic, etc) correctly a reboot should allow windows to start the services in the proper order.
I this was my laptop, I would save my data then do a restore to factory state, install SP3 and all updates, restore data, reinstall software and go from there. As messed up as the laptop is, you may be fiddling with it for weeks to try to get everything working as it should.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI