Right now I have 256. I'd like to add more memory. How do I know what "stick (s)" to buy? I'd at least like to have 512 or more. Where is the cheapest or at least the best deal to purchase? Is there anything I need to do other than plug it in? Format etc or will my pc recognize it all by itself? Thank you….Lynne
on the right hand side there is a menu, just navigate around it finding your PC and eventually it will show you the exact ram that will fit in your PC.
I'd say Ebay is ok for RAM. I don't think anywhere is cheap, but getting money off is always good
Well there is a couple of very cheap online shops hat sell RAM. I dont know exactly where you live, but theres quit a few that are suitable for many places.
I forgot the info on my PC. It's a Dell Demension 8200. I think it's the 400 MHz FSB. They have the 533 MHz Front Side Bus. But I don't see 533 on any of my computer info. I do see 400 MHz listed according to Everest program. So, If I'm right I take a pc 800.
Hi,
As you know adding more memory will probably have a beneficial effect on your machine, however choosing the right memory and fitting it in the right slot takes a bit of care and research and can be fraught with difficulty.
If you go to this website and input your machine's "name rank and number" you should be informed of the memory module needed, the technical specification and the price.
Going to a major supplier of memory like, Crucial, Kingston or any of the firms that provide a guaranteed compatibility (or a refund if it doesn't work!) may seem to be slightly more expensive than some others, but many folks find the re-assurance of the guaranteed compatibility well worth it.
Here's a link to one of the sites, you can use your favourite search engine to find others:
Ok, question. When I went to purchase it says ECC 512 kit(Error Correcting Code) yes, or non ECC (Error Correcting Code). Should I get the 512 mb kit ECC (Error Correcting Code)?
Also, I looked at Everest under Chipset. It says
Field Value
Problem AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.
What does this mean?
Desktop and laptop machines use non-ECC Ram.
The Everest notation simply alerts you that the video adapter that you have installed on the machine is likely to draw more than 1/2 of your presently installed RAM resources when video rendering tasks are at their maximum.
It's another way of saying – You need more RAM.
Make sure they get your order right. I just ordered two sticks from them and they sent me one for the price of two! They must be cheap because they have amateurs working in their shipping department.
I just read the email they sent me in reply. I guess they not only didn't complete my order, but the item they did send me is incorrect and now I am supposed to send it back! Good grief.