Hi guys, need a bit of info about upgrading my ram. I have currently got 2 sticks of " Legend 512mb DDr400 Ram" Part: L6464DC7 643HDC93 Intel Cert: 03071130.
My PC is quick with this but when I was doing a monthly dedusting of the case, ( I live in a very dusty rural area) I noticed that there was a spare slot for ram.
So what do I need to know to go bigger??? I have read that it depends on the system etc? or which slots they are currently in? and if the board can go further that 1Gig
I appreciate any help in this matter, I rather ask first than just dive in and toast my PC.
Cheers
If you would like an overall view of your system, download SIW.exe scroll down a shade and download the first recommended option.
Recently, I had the same amount of RAM as you now have, two slots, containing 512MB in each. I now have each slot with 1024MB in each, made so much difference to my PC's performance.
Once you run SIW.exe, which shows you exactly the configuration of your system, then you can make the decision whether it will run with more RAM to your advantage.
Post back with more information or more questions if need be.
Hi Tallin, Thanks for the time….., Right I loaded SIW and had a look at the vast range of info it supplied. Now I have no idea of what I,m meant to be looking for tho….
Look I,m a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing…. give me a welder and some steel and I can make anything lolololol.
inform me please.
Cheers
Hi TomT
Have a look at www.crucial.com, if you accept the ActiveX control (it is generally considered safe from this site) The crucial scanner will usually be able to identify your machine and the memory types suitable for it and will advise on the recommended sizes etc. It will also indicate prices.
It will provide you with a great deal of informatio, basically all you need. You don't have to actually buy the memory from them to use the tool, but I have dealt with them for years and have been well satisfied.
Regards
paws
These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine compatible RAM. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.
Crucial - Memory Advisor Corsair - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only) GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only) Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only) Mushkin - Advisor OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only) Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only) PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only) SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.
Hi guys, thanks for the info…. I,m trying to comput all this, I have try several of those site Digerati but they say that my motherboard is no longer available, to old?? The crucial memory adviser says I can go to 2-1G sticks, and that my motherboard will be maxed at that.
It also says that the board can take : "Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*" so why has it got 2 Legend 512mb DDR400 in it??? this I have seen.
My specs for the board is:
MSI (Micro Star) MS-6788 (848P Neo-LS) Motherboard.
# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Number of Banks: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
# CPU Speed: 3000 MHz
So now I left with what sort of Ram to get? as in branding?? type?? As i,m in NewZealand not all is avaiable.
Many cheers for your help.
This is because of different naming schemes… DDR 400 RAM is another way of labelling PC-3200 RAM.
This is what you need to purchase. If I get the idea right, you want to upgrade to 2GB, is that correct? If you currently have 2x 512MB sticks of RAM, you'll need to remove those to install a 2x 1GB kit.
So this is what you need to purchase, a 2x 1GB kit of PC-3200 DDR (400MHz) RAM. Here is an example I found in New Zealand.
Tallin,
Thanks for the reply, sorry for not being PC savvy but I did have a look at what you said…. I found out what I had but making the right choice on what to buy is what i needed… There are so many brands, and so many different numbers etc.
Also pricing of these varies so much, I have looked at Legend again but 1 stick of 1Gb is over $160 here…. so some advice on the next best???
Many cheers
Troy
Thanks for the link, Have delt with them for other items. Now does this matter?? " # Dual Channel Support: No" as from the specs of my board??? I see the ram in the link says Dual Channel. ???? I have tried to search/match the numbers from my legend ram to match up but get nothing.
As said to Tallin, I want to make the right choice, and not jeopardize my PC by getting the wrong Ram.
Also noticed that on the MotherBoard there is 3 slots?? 2 have the ram, and 1 nothing? yet the specs say there is 2? is the other not for ram? bit confused there, as I am with evrything….
Cheers
Tallin,
Thanks for the reply, sorry for not being PC savvy but I did have a look at what you said…. I found out what I had but making the right choice on what to buy is what i needed… There are so many brands, and so many different numbers etc.
Also pricing of these varies so much, I have looked at Legend again but 1 stick of 1Gb is over $160 here…. so some advice on the next best???
Many cheers
Hi TOMT,
No question is stupid, but the one not asked, so we all need to learn here.
Can you post the details for us to view in the right pane in SIW.exe after you
highlight Hardware in the left pane
Memory
Just copy and paste the details into this thread which will help us greatly.
If your motherboard supports dual channel, buying dual channel RAM ensures (in theory) the RAM is matched to perform in dual channel most efficiently. Dual channel requires two (preferably) identical RAM sticks. Two 512Mb sticks in dual channel mode will perform better than one 1gb stick.
The modules are the same, the RAM makers just package the sticks in pairs that have been tested to work together happily. If installed in a single channel motherboard, they simply work in single channel mode. My advice, buy a matched pair - you might be able to use them on your next, dual channel, motherboard.
If the specs are different from what you see, verify the specs are for that board. Inspect the motherboard for marking - to include make, model number, and very importantly, the version or revision number. They might have had room to add another slot with a later revision than your specs - more might have been changed. Check the maker's website for an updated manual.
Can you post the details for us to view in the right pane in SIW.exe after you
highlight Hardware in the left pane
Memory
Just copy and paste the details into this thread which will help us greatly.
kind regards,
Hi Tallin, I have tried several times to copy/paste the info….. but I can't seem to get it… The info is there but as soon as I try and copy the info dissapears????? I even tried to print the info but same thing, a blank page…..
I had a look at other sections and was able to copy them, but this section on Memory wouldnt let me.
I will have to wait till home later today and pull the side off the pc, and as "Digerati" said.. check the board for specs and confirm. I have managed to find the board manual, but it lists 2 part numbers. So I will post back later with correct specs.
I,m sorry guys for taking so much of your time over this, I thought it was a simple thing to do……
Cheers
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI