This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

memory upgrade in laptop

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi, i am hoping to upgrade the memory in my laptop (HP Pavillion ze2000) because I cant afford to get a new laptop right now. I think it has two modules of 256MB right now because I currently have about 500ish MB. I was hoping maybe to switch in one or two 512MB modules.

I looked online about for info about my computer and i got this site
http://shop.crucial.com/1/4/12001-hp-compa…ory-module.html
They also have a guide
http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm.aspx?cpe=ya08

I also opened the back of the laptop and located (I think) the two memory module slots. (posted picture)

I would appreciate any any advice on what I should buy, how to install, or anything else.
Thanks!!

Attachments:

Hi,

Crucial does have a nice applet that checks what type of memory you exactly need:
http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

I think it has two modules of 256MB right now because I currently have about 500ish MB.

How did you judge? By using Ctrl + Alt + Del and looking in the right-below-corner? That does not show the real amount, because it also shows virtual memory.

I was hoping maybe to switch in one or two 512MB modules.

If your system has only two slots you must get bigger modules. Switching to one 512 MB modules will of course not help you if you already have 2x265 MB, so two would be needed. 1024 MB for a XP machine is nice, I have it as well..

Regards,
John.
Hello,

To get overall specifications of your system, what memory you have, along with how many slots, go here, click on Hardware > Memory and there will be all the information you need to make an informed decision to upgrade.

How to install memory on your Laptop. Be careful that you purchase the identical type memory already installed in the slots available to you. I had in this PC two slots each with 512MB originally, now each slot contains 1024MB, but the memory type is identical with the original smaller capacity.

Best regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI