I have a HP Pavilion custom built model from quite a few years back. I believe the memory is bad? I'd rather just replace or upgrade the memory sticks. Currently there are 4 slots on the motherboard. 2 slots are filled with this model number "1GB 2RX8 PC2-5300U-555-12-E0 1GB, DDR2, 667 CL5" it says this on both memory sticks and there are 2 more open slots. My question is can I fill each slot with 2GB and make it 8GB? Or should I only fill each slot with 1GB making it 4GB? I'm not good with computers. But since I'm upgrading… I figure the more RAM the better?
The Tag on my Desktop Tower says: Pavilion d4000 Prod# PX181AV#ABA
What sticks could I use and what's the total capacity of RAM? Thanks for your time!
Hi, Your current 2GB of RAM should give reasonable performance on an XP system (your profile indicates you are using XP)
for general office and social use.You would only need more for specific applications.
1 If your operating system is 32 bit, then it will only be able to use around 3.25 to 3.5 GB so fitting any more would be a bit of a waste.
2 A 64 bit operating system is able to use in excess of 4GB ( providing your computer is able to handle it)
3 One way to check the actual maximum RAM that your computer can cope with is to visit www.crucial.com
4 Use the Crucial system scanner (you will need to accept an Active X control) and this is considered safe from this site.
5 T he Crucial scanner should then identify the existing memory and indicate what additional memory could be accommodated
6 It will also provide you an indication of cost.
You don't have to buy any additional memory from Crucial, you can go to your favourite supplier if you wish, however Crucial are of good reputation and speaking personally I have never been disappointed with their products or service.
Regards
paws
Thank you paws for your input! You've been a great help! I tried to do the Crucial self checker last night. I think my computer is unstable??? Every time I run their program my computer automatically "clicks" and resets itself??? I don't know why my computer is doing this???
What is a good way to check to see if my computer was built with 32 bit or 64 bit? Thanks!
Hi I understand
64 bit Win XP installations are rarer than hens teeth…chances are you have 32bit especially if your machine is a few years old.
Start>Right click My Computer>Click Properties…if it doesn't mention 64 bit then its 32 bit!
Your owners manual/handbook will detail the maximum amount of RAM that can be accommodated, if you really cant get The Crucial scanner to work….
Take out one of the RAM modules and see if it will work on just the one (note which mem slot each mem module came out of ….they have to go back in the correct slots don't trust to memory (your own memory that is! write it down…)
You may find that one of the mem nodules is bad…its very unlikely that both would fail at the same time….
Win XP will work fine on 1GB so you can run the Crucial scanner
Regards
paws
One more quick question. In properties it indicates that 2GB of RAM is installed. If one of the sticks of memory was defective would it automatically change to 1GB?
this post is a little old now but i will add to it anyways. have you tried running memtest yet? it is a free download and is included in "ultimate boot cd" but i am sure you can grab it at any of the reputable down load sites.
put it on a cd or a flash drive, boot to it and let it test away.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI