I have a Biostar M7VKD mother board with 512 mb of pc 133 ram, an ATI Radeon 9000 video card, 2 cd drives, floppy drive, some other pci cards, and a 500 watt power supply. Currently I am running a 1ghz Duron in it but I have an xp 1800+ (palomino) that I am trying to install. The first time I tried to install it I had the jumper settings wrong and when I pushed the power button the computer would turn on all the drives would run through there sequence etc…, but it wouldnt boot up. I had no video at all. No beeps or anything. So I reinstalled the original processor and had to clear the cmos with the jumper to get it to boot up. Then I got the jumpers set right and installed the new processor again this time everything worked beautifully. The bios had the correct processor and all my programs ran flawlessly. When I went to start up the computer this morning I had the same trouble as before. Everything turns on, but there is no signal to the monitor, and no beeps or anything. Now I have the Duron back in here (had to clear the cmos again) and I dont know what to do. For the Duron processor I have the JCLK 1-OFF OFF OFF OFF and the JCLK2- ON. When the 1800 worked I had the JCLK1 ON OFF ON OFF and JCLK2 OFF. In both instances I had the auto detect CPU turned on in the bios. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. This just a system that I like to play around with, but I still want to get a little more out of it than the Duron was giving me. Thanx
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your Mobo/CPU,
If you haven't got a copy of the manual and report for your Biostar then you can download them from here;
Page 20 of the manual provides full details of the jumper settings and I'm pretty sure you will find the answers in there or the other documentastion.
We have never worked on one of these Mobo's so if one came in for repair we would only have the above to help us, so regret we can offer no specific advice, but nevertheless hope the above helps
Regards
paws
I thought I saw a full list of jumper settings somewhere, but I cant find them now. I have seen that users manual, I have it saved on my computer, and I'm sure that I saw a full list of jumper settings in it, but now the only settings that I can find are for either 100mhz or 133mhz fsb, those are the only two options. The big list has disappeared. On page 20 I get a mostly blank page save for 1 line at the top. In figure
1-20 I get jumper settings, but only those two options. What should my manual jumper settings be for an Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino AX1800DMT3C? Thanx for your help.
Can anyone email or post that big list of jumper settings? Also, if I upgrade and want to do a ful reinstallation of win xp (oem), do I need to get a new liscence key. Will microsoft make me pay for it?
Hi,
It will probably be best to go to the web site I quoted im my earlier post and download a full new copy of all the documentation (Including the manual and Report) as obviously the one you have saved previously is not providing the information you need.
Unless any one else on the forum has experience of the Mobo concerned and your particular CPU then all you have to go on is the documentation provided, however it might be worth emailing Biostar's support people to see if they can help.
I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade, but if you reinstall your operating system to the same computer, that has the same components in it you should be Ok with your OEM Windows installation disc.
If you have any doubts give Microsoft a call and quote your Product Key and they will be pleased to help.
Regards
paws
Iam no expert in MOBO/CPU's. this is only my experience from about 8 or builds over the years.
In my experience the only jumper ive ever moved other than to clear the CMOS is the FSB jumpers. These may not be the jumpers you are talking about.
in my experience if your MOBO supports that CPU, then it should fire up with the default jumper settings as shipped on the MOBO, the jumpers then can be moved from 100mhz to 133mhz etc as needed.
ive used the AMD CPU support forum before myself. I dont know if biostar has a public forum or not, like Paws said unless someone comes along with experience you would be better off in a hardware/CPU forum.
I have gone to the website and downloaded new copies, but they are all the same. I have even updated my Adobe reader just in case it was missing something, but no matter what I do it wont show me. I dont get that table any more.
I have already contacted customer support at Biostar, but its been 3 days and no response.
I may want to upgrade my board (if this doesnt work out) so between that, the new proc, the new PSU, and the new harddrive I dont know if the windows key will recoginze my computer anymore. If I upgrade to the point that windows asks for a new key, will they make me pay for it?
I have also done a dozen or so builds, but I have never had trouble with mobo cpu combinations. The board that I have has jumpers to set the FSB and it also has jumpers to set the muliplier. It is suppose to automatically detect and adjust for any supported cpu, but I can set the jumpers to do it manually. (if I can find that dang table) I dont know why it isnt working right.
I also have this posted in the AMD support forums already. They sent me here for a different problem.
Hi,
Sorry I can't be of any more help other than to suggest you read every bit of the documentation as thoroughly as you can. That table you are looking for will be there somewhere in the documentation.
If you change your MOBO and other bits, almost certainly Microsoft will regard this as a new Computer and outside the scope of the OEM Windows operating system licence. Therefore they will usually expect you to buy a new operating system and licence again.
It might be best therefore, also to check out the following:
1 MOBO
2 CPU
3 RAM
If you find that the MOBO is dead and has fried the other two items and that you are unable to purchase a new identical MOBO due to it's age, obselescence etc and you explain this to Microsoft, they will usually be prepared to issue you with a new product key which will licence you to use your existing OEM Windows XP legitimately on your "repaired" computer. They will do this free of charge in these circumstances on most occasions.
Hope this helps
Regards
paws