This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Signal

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope this the right place for this.

 

Generic pc.Self assembled  some years ago.

 

Motherboard. AsRock   880GM  LE  FX  P140-158.  Nvidia  video card.  AMD   AM3 or 3+ processor.

 

A while ago the processor died so I replaced it with a new one.

 

My  Stupidity:

 

Instead of erasing the partition with  Win 7 on  it and then reinstalling with the new processor, I simply

booted. Result:

 

A message for a moment that it was not the same pc———and then the screen went black.Since then,

 

I have tried 3 working monitors—–each says No Signal.

 

When I switch on the pc the fans of processor and power supply start and remain functional.

 

Is there any way to get the motherboard to work again? Please help.

 

I have tried  Linux disks. Have disconnected the hdd and then switched on hopping to get

into Bios. Same result, no signal.

 

Have also taken battery out and shorting Jumpers. Same result. No signal.

Hello wesi,

 

Motherboard. AsRock   880GM  LE  FX  P140-158

 

 

According to the specs here the motherboard has onboard video, physically remove the Nvidia  video card from the MB and try hooking a display up to that (MBs DVI port) and let us know what if anything happens.

 

If no joy with the above, when you post back can you tell us how many sticks of RAM you have, if you have a wired PS/2 type keyboard and the brand and model name or number of the add on Nvidea GPU and the power supply.

 

Edit to add: Should have also asked, what is the replacement CPU, is it out of the box new or used but came with a 100% guarantee to be working.

Thank you. Did as you said. Also tried vga connector. No change at all.

 

CPU was new out of the box.AMD Athlon  am3 socket. It did work but win declared it illegal, ah well, my fault.

 

Video is Asus  big passive cooler. Model number not written any where. On the back is written,

 

EN210 Silent/DI/512MD3/V2(LP) below it=  B9COYZ337377 another place—KCC-REM-MSQ-C872PI.

 

Used Lenevo  USB mouse and Trust USB keyboard.

 

I have 2 sticks of RAM.

 

Power supply is  Bequite,  Made in Germany. I always use these. These are really quite.I do not buy anything 2nd hand.

So, all I have is old but bought new.

 

All this is becoming amusing. But I do want to get it working.There are a lot of low income people around who

could do with a simple pc.

 

I await your reply.

CPU was new out of the box.AMD Athlon  am3 socket. It did work but win declared it illegal,

 

 

Can I ask what you mean by " win declared it illegal,"

 

Try a wired PS/2 type keyboard and one stick of RAM at a time in each slot on the MB.

Thank you.  declared illegal—- When the last cpu died I changed it. Forgot to delete win7 on the hdd and then reinstall

with new cpu.

 

When I booted with the old hdd and win 7 already on hdd, a message appeared on the screen about it being not the same pc and then the screen went black and still is. It was a

long message but showed only for a second. So I am not able reproduce it correctly.

 

Could not find ps2 keyboard but used usb/ps2 convertor. Found and connected old ps2 mouse. Took ram out one at a time and tried booting with

only one stick at a time. No luck.

 

Legally windows can unable the system to stop use of os on another pc. But it can not destroy the mb.

 

Is it possible to find out what win does to the mb? If it was only change in Bios the pc will still boot.

 

RAM    GEIL  made in Taiwan   2GB   PC3-8500 cl  7-7-7-20

 

GB 34GB 1066C7DC.

 

I await further instructions.

Legally windows can unable the system to stop use of os on another pc. But it can not destroy the mb.

 

Is it possible to find out what win does to the mb? If it was only change in Bios the pc will still boot.

 

 

Not sure why you think that Windows is responsible for this, Windows has no control over the behaviour of a computer until all of the required hardware has passed the power on self test, once POST has completed the BIOS hands over control to Windows, an incompatible version of Windows will not boot but it would give you an on screen error message advising you of the cause, a compatible but unregistered version of Windows would boot up ok but would have an on screen message telling you that the OS needed to be registered or that you were using an unlicensed copy of Windows, if you cannot even get into the BIOS the problem is definitely hardware related, have you considered that whatever it was that killed the original CPU has also done the same to the second or alternatively the original CPU was fine and the problem is with the motherboard or something else, have you checked the caps on the MB

Thank you very much.

 

Just got up,a bit under the weather,12 medicine I take every day,sometime play tricks with concentration.

 

I am going to look later to see the capacitors. As luck would have it,I have a fully assembled mobo sitting on

a shelf!!! I think I will take out the defective mobo and replace it with the other one and get the pc to the

person who needs it.

 

I am grateful for your time and attention.

 

I will report back. Have a wonderful weekend.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI