Hi–
I recently picked up a Visiontek Radeon x1300 to replace the 64mb video card that we had onboard a computer we're using for our church. The one we're taking out is a PCI card by ATI (9000, I think).
Hubby and I are having difficulties with this though and it's getting very frustrating! We uninstalled the drivers and the old card, then shut off the computer, took out the old card, and installed the new. Turning the computer back on, the bios and everything came up as normal. The Windows XP screen with the bar moving across the bottom came up. Then, nothing…black screen.
This computer is an Intel P4 with 2.4G, 1G RAM running XP Pro SP-2 with a dual output for the monitor and video projector. It has an ASUS P4Pe motherboard with an Intel 845 PE chip.
Any ideas as to what's causing the hangup?
Thanks in advance!
BeckyK
Went and checked for onboard video, but there is none. Reseated the new card several times and made sure the power cable is connected properly. No problems there.
The card is an 8x, but when plugged into the AGP, it only runs as a 4x. The problem is we're getting a black screen (not to be confused with no signal) from the card once the windows screen with the bar across the bottom goes off (before logon).
We tried starting in safe mode, but it doesn't come up with windows. Instead it looks like we're getting a read of the directory and it hangs at something with AGP440.exe at the end…
Any more ideas?
–BeckyK
Hi BeckyK,
Sometimes getting a "bigger" Video Card can cause a greater load on the Power Supply which can cause this kind of problem.
What Power Supply "size" do you have?
i got almost the same card its an ati radeon x1300 pro agp 8x and i seemed to have the same problem though im not sure what motherboard your using im using a winfast 760gxk8mc and there was no option to disable the video card. i had a bunch of different colored lines after the windows xp load up screen so not sure if this has much difference. yet what i did seemed to work. i had to hook up the powersupply directly to the card and went into the bios to change it so it knows i have a agp 256mb at 8x so after that it dint work. but i dint change those settings and i decided to use the converter to convert the second monitor hookup to a regular monitor hookup and it worked after that. then i just installed the drivers and hooked my monitor up to the regular slot and it worked.
also i find it odd that it can fit pci and agp? and make sure its not pciE that wud be a pain. hope something here helps, not the biggest computer wiz
Hello All!
I'd like to list out all the components that are being used, just so we are all on the same page.
I have a Asus P4PE motherboard with a P4 2.4 gig processor. It has 1G of RAM, and runs XP Pro SP2. The power supply is a 400watt unit. I want to install a Visiontek Radeon x1300 AGP video card with 512M of onboard memory.
The problem I'm having is that when I uninstall the current video card and its drivers, per the installation instructions, and then install the new (x1300) card, the computer boots up, showing all the bios info then the initial Windows screen with the scrolling blue bar, then black. Not loss of video signal, but black.
The picture provided by "dough" is the motherboard. I did plug in the additional power connector.
If I can provide anymore info, please let me know. We do appreciate all your help!
Thanks everyone!
BeckyK
OK, BeckyK,
That Card "should" work with that MotherBoard, if you install it into one of the "white" PCI slots that appear in the picture I included above.
Is that where you have it installed?
OK, thanks. That card would be installed in the "brown" AGP slot, correct?
Are there options in your BIOS/CMOS settings that allow "Automatic"/"auto" for recognizing the Video Card?
Right - the brown AGP slot.
As far as "auto" recognizing via bios, I'm not sure I've ever seen that. I'm not real proficient in the world of bios. I've been in there many times looking but try not to make many changes due to lack of knowledge.
BeckyK
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI