This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't install windows media player

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I was having problems with wmp10 so I uninstalled it and planned to reinstall it again, but when I go to reinstall I always get a message saying 'An internal application error has occured' and it won't install. I'd appreciate some help on this, thanks.

Give this Microsoft Knowledge Base article a try:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831430

Best Regards


Hi, I tried the reregister method and they both succeeded

The site says..

"If either of the files do not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged"

So does that mean its fine if they both succeeded?

I also tried the regedit method but only got as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES because the other part is missing from the registry.
Are you now able to download, install, and run Windows Media Player. If you can, then your problem is resolved. If not, post back with an update on your situation. Best Regards
here's where I would go to download Windows Media Player 10:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme…lDownloads.aspx

Since it is a Microsoft Site, I would not expect any problem with validation.
You might be asked to complete the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation process which assures MS that you have a legitimate version of XP operating system.

You can also install Windows Media Player directly from your XP Installation CD.
Insert XP Installation CD.
If it starts its own Installation Menu window, simply close it using the X in the upper right corner or select Close.

GoTo:
Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Click on - Add Windows Components
In the dialogue box which is displayed next, remove the "x" checkmarks in all selections except for Windows Media Player. Follow the Installation Wizard instructions to complete the installation.

Best Regards
Ok the application error message has now disappeared, I just need to get passed windows logo testing. If someone could help me with this ASAP I would be grateful. Otherwise I will have to System Restore and risk losing files.
If you have downloaded the Window Media Player installation package from a legitimate site (like the one I linked above) or are installing from your XP CD, then you can "click" to accept and allow the installation to continue. Not sure if this answers your question. Please update us with your progress. Best Regards
Hi Yahtzee,

I can't stay with you right now since I have to go out to work.
Here are some useful thoughts and links related to WMP.
I've checked on other forums and found many folks have used the Reg fix successfully.
I cannot, however, vouch for the author or the site, beyond that.
Therefore, read carefully and use at your own discretion:

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

And specifically this downloadable fix:
http://www.zachd.com/pss/WMP10reset.reg


Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI